Fishing in the Bandon area....

B
backlash
Hi Folks... New to forum.

I'm an ole fart but generally the last one to stow his rod and reel when it comes to fishing.

I will be in Bandon for the winter (Nov - April) and was hoping to get some "where to / how to" pointers for fishing in the Bandon area. Salt, Brackish, River, Lake - it's ALL GOOD. Also, where I can't afford guide trips all the time I am MOST willing and able to share boating expenses PLUS if you're looking for a partner.

Thanks in advance.
Backlash (aka John)

M
Mad dog
Start by driving south!!! If you are not fishing the Elk or sixes in Nov./Dec. for fall Chinook you need to have your head examined!

Bandon is almost limitless for winter steelhead....the Coquille, Coos, Millicoma, Elk, Sixes, numerous small creeks that hold steelhead, even the Lower Umpqua or Rogue rivers are a reasonable day trip away!

C_Run
C_Run
Mad dog said it all. When you're there, go see Tony at the Port of Call tackle shop. He will steer you in the right directions and he writes the weekly fishing report in the Western World. Always a great resource.

Also check out Prowler Charters for top notch salt water trips.

Last edited:
B
backlash
Thanks guys....

Yeah, I went out with Prowler last summer - just a bottom fishing trip but caught 1 keeper Ling and more Rock Cod than you could shake an ugly stick at! My wife and I stay at a place on 101, just down the road from an access road to The Sixes.

I appreciate your input - good fishin to yas

R
Razz
Plunk both the Elk and Sixes in the mud tight to shore spin-n-glo and eggs float and anchovie just up stream from the house the state owns(hint).

jamisonace
jamisonace
When you say down the road from Sixes, do you mean Langlois. We stay at the dome house on the hill quite often and we'll be there this week starting tomorrow. I'll drop you a note if fishing gets good or if I have a seat open up. We'll be doing some mushroom hunting up Floras Creek and Elk River Rd until the rivers drop (hopefully) before we leave.

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
When you say down the road from Sixes, do you mean Langlois. We stay at the dome house on the hill quite often and we'll be there this week starting tomorrow. I'll drop you a note if fishing gets good or if I have a seat open up. We'll be doing some mushroom hunting up Floras Creek and Elk River Rd until the rivers drop (hopefully) before we leave.

Dang! Ditto. Maybe I'll see you there. Might bank fish Elk once in the next few days.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Cool, keep in touch and maybe we can meet up. I have no specific plans or times to fish but lots of non-fishing stuff the family wants to do so I'll be fitting it in where I can...hopefully everyday.

C_Run said:
Dang! Ditto. Maybe I'll see you there. Might bank fish Elk once in the next few days.[/QUOTE

jamisonace
jamisonace
Elk River Thanksgiving surpise!

Elk River Thanksgiving surpise!

The Elk River is high and green, the wind was howling at our backs making it even harder to row in that already fast water. Everything was going wrong from the beginning. Bait wouldn't dive, hooks kept fowling etc. Anyway, alls well that ends well. My boys diver was having issues so I had him reel it in. We fixed it and back in the water it went. 30 seconds later the rod slams and its fish on! He get the rod out of the holder and it starts screaming off line. He is reeling but not making any progress. I look at his reel and there is a burr. I grabbed the reel and slammed my thumb on the line just in time for the burr to stop all line from going out of the reel period. Of course when I saw that i figured we'd lose the fish for sure but i sent my boys to the back of the boat to get the net and started yarding the fish upstream to keep ahead of the burr. So with the boys on the net i was able wear this thing out and get it. She a nice fat hen and we put about 13 pounds of filets in the fridge for Thanksgiving. Needless to say, I'm pretty thankful today. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Three boys.jpg

F
fish fear the willy
Nice i'm heading down to float the elk tomorrow should be lots of fish and lets hope for no wind.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Hope to see you out there. We're just doing short floats every day so I'll be out there tomorrow and Saturday for a couple hours.
fish fear the willy said:
Nice i'm heading down to float the elk tomorrow should be lots of fish and lets hope for no wind.