Fishin out of Boardman

F
Finneus Polebender
Gonna be taking the gear with me to Boardman this week will be fishin evenings after work, spotted numerous ponds ,then theres the big C , but the most interesting from a quick look might be the mcormack slough . Any how if anyone has any potential leads for this ol bass hound they would be greatly appreciated . Just for the record I am strictly C&R and you can message me if youd like to keep the info off the open forum hope its not too cold for some early bassin there thanks in advance FP Oh almost forgot will be banking it this trip so any places with bank access would be great.

C
catfishman89
Mcmormack slough is supposed to have some huge largemouth. Its a little early for smallmouth on the columbia but if its sunny fish shallow areas with crankbaits slowly. Ive caught a few nice smallies in march and april on crankbaits. May is insanity for smallies on the columbia.

T
the_intimidator03
ah good ol home waters. I fished Boardman Marina a lot when I lived there. used spinner baits and tube jigs and some top water account for most of my smallies. Last I knew you could walk pretty much anywhere around the marina and fish but its been so long I don't know what has changed and what remains. I usually fished between the boat ramp and heading towards the docks as it is all rip-rap and depending on water levels it drops off pretty decently just a few feet out. It may be early but I am sure you can find fish. Perhaps off the south end of the jetty's as those will probably be the warmest area's (mind you the walkin aint easy) I do wish you the best out there.

F
Finneus Polebender
Thanks for the info guys ,figure I will hit the slough for sure and start withall my fav cold water bass tactics , will make sure to pack the crank baits and tubes since the river will be real close.

T
the_intimidator03
You know Finneus you remind me of the days gone by of standing on the dock casting parallel to the rip-rap drop off using large double willow spinner baits getting hammered by smallies. then the smash on a popper as you twitch it across the surface Lookin forwards to a report

L
Lothar Of The Hill People
I like heading to the west end of the marina past the baseball field and walking the railroad line to the culverts that pass underneath between the Columbia and the Boardman Slough. If there is flow from the slough into the river the smallmouth fishing is great on the river side of the culverts.

F
Finneus Polebender
Well Boardman aint so boring after all ! First night here found some ponds in the industrial area . fished the one next to columbia rd for about half an hour was retrieving the ol swim bait just ready to pull it out the water and bam right at my feet I get tagged . I was so not ready and just got a flash looked to be 3-4 lbs. Second night headed up to the umatilla wildlife area found mccormick slough the weather had really cooled off fished there for a couple hours then back to the industrial pond no luck either way. Decided to stick with the industrial pond today figured at least I knew they were there . Better weather equated to good fishin spent about 20 min casting and boom ,totally ready this time she fought hard and totally engulfed the ol swimbait..... fish in boardman 005.jpgfish in boardman 003.jpg Fished for about 10 more minutes when boom ... and I mean boom thought I had a good 8-10 lber but alas just my first swim bait carp by the tail it went 6.5 lbs . Ended up hitting another and it was on again hate the smell but must admit they were fun to fight .....fish in boardman 007.jpg Well thats it for now headin home tomorrow thanks for all the tips guys and for being out here there is fun to be had.

T
TTFishon
Woo carp!!! Hahaha! Nice bass!!! Way to get out and get em!

L
lizardman
If any of you get up here again look me up... I am always up for some fishing, and I can take you out to some salmon holes during the middle of the week so we aren't elbow to elbow fishing.

Dave