Fish count & electrofishing

M
mezzfin
LOL - I have had a 2 day Crooked trip planned for about 3 months that is to start Monday. Joy of joys, ODFW decides it's time to do a fish count, so they have been zapping fish all week below the dam down to Cobble Rock campground. They say fishing will be adversely affected in the zap zone, but should bounce back within a week and be totally unaffected downstream from there. Question: do I even bother camping in the zap zone, try below Cobble Rock, or pick another river altogether?

brandon4455
brandon4455
fish the metolius or deschutes.

troutdude
troutdude
They finished their count today, I believe. I'd try it on Monday--should be good. If not, just move downstream until you start reeling 'em in.

Looking forward to your report. I'll be pulling into that area that following Saturday (6/30), for a few days.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Deschutes is a good second choice, but if you are set on the Crooked there is nothing wrong with fishing below Cobble Rock camp ground. Anything above mile post 12 is good to fish. I've had good days at Lower and Upper Lone Pine and Lower and Upper Palisades. I'd say if you like the Crooked give it a shot.

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
If you've been planning a trip over there for that long, don't let it stop you. By Monday ever thing should be returning to somewhat normal. Sometimes I think that they like to see how high they can get the fish to come out of the water, like they turn-up the juice or something. But, I would also have a backup, because personally when I'm out there I don't ever fish below Cobble Rock.

M
mezzfin
OK, I'm still going. I'll fish at Cobble Rock and move lower if needed. Pics/report to follow!

L
lilsalmon
Good luck...I love the Crooked. I have a feeling there is a trip there soon, I hope.