Wilson River fishing for a beginner

probably
Later this week I'll be camping along the Wilson River. Probably at either Keenig Creek or Elk Creek campgrounds. I have some new and unused fishing gear and would like to spend some time making a beginner's attempt at catching something. I'm happy to drive or hike to a spot anywhere in that region.

I'm not a total beginner, but pretty close. I've fished a lot but it's been more than 25 years, was in a different state, mostly at scout camps and my uncle's pond. Never had a fishing license. Never even fished for anything specific.

Do I understand correctly that all I need is a One Day Angling license for $23?

Anyone care to offer general guidance to someone just getting started (again)? What kind of fish should I be aiming for? What laws should I be aware of? How am I most likely to mess this up?
 
Davpot
Hello Probably😉
You Mite want to get a Regulation book and study it. Or you can stop by ODFW offices for suggestions.
Good luck! And bend those barbs!
Dave
 
  • Like
Reactions: Casting Call and probably
rogerdodger
Davpot said:
Hello Probably😉
You Mite want to get a Regulation book and study it. Or you can stop by ODFW offices for suggestions.
Good luck! And bend those barbs!
Dave

good advice, you can also pull up the e-regs online, Wilson is in the NW zone, check it's special regs under 'Exceptions'.

as for using barbless hooks, last time I checked not required on the Wilson river? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
  • Like
Reactions: probably and Casting Call
troutdude
26 2022 OREGON SPORT FISHING REGULATIONS
NORTHWEST ZONE
NORTHWEST ZONE REGULATIONS
SPECIES BAG LIMIT SIZE LIMIT AND OTHER SPECIFICATIONS SEASON
Trout
Lakes: 5 per day,
3 daily limits in
possession.
Streams: (including
tidewaters and
bays): 2 per day,
3 daily limits in
possession.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams above tidewater, May 22 -
Aug 31. See Exceptions where use of bait is allowed.
• 8 inch minimum length.
• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
• Rainbow trout over 16 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
• Salmon under 15 inches are considered trout, except coho salmon, which are
always considered salmon regardless of size.
• No limit on size or number of brook or brown trout in streams unless noted under
Exceptions.
Lakes: Open all
year
Streams:
(including
tidewaters and
bays): Open
May 22 - Oct 31
 
  • Like
Reactions: probably
probably
Thanks everyone. I promise I've read through the regulations a few times but it's a lot of new information. Based on the 'map' at https://myodfw.com/fishing/willamette-zone I thought I had properly figured out which zone I'd be in but looks like I was wrong about that. Thanks for the correction! Exactly the kind of help I was looking for.

Seems like I'll be fishing for trout. Which is good because that's what I geared up for last time I tried (and failed) to make this happen. Using 5' spinning rod/reel, powerbait glitter trout bait, #8 wide gap bait hooks, swivels, weights, lelands ez trout floats.
 
Casting Call
Welcome aboard! Prob. ! day camping eh! Catch one fish and you will want to fish the next morn. before you leave, right? Do the math that takes a 2 day license. Myself I wouldn't concern with a target fish, just fish have fun. We don't know what type gear you have. For all the info you are getting here let us know how you do. Tony 10%er
 
  • Like
Reactions: probably
frontierhistorian
probably said:
Do I understand correctly that all I need is a One Day Angling license for $23?

I don't know how the rules work for one-day angling with respect to salmon and steelhead, but normally you need an Adult Combined Angling Tag if you harvest any of those fish. Maybe someone else on the list knows?

Regarding de-barbing your hooks, it makes catch-and-release easier if you get something you can't keep.

The Wilson is home to sea-run cutthroat, so do some research on what gets them on the hook. I've one fly fished for them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: probably
rogerdodger
frontierhistorian said:
I don't know how the rules work for one-day angling with respect to salmon and steelhead, but normally you need an Adult Combined Angling Tag if you harvest any of those fish. Maybe someone else on the list knows?

Regarding de-barbing your hooks, it makes catch-and-release easier if you get something you can't keep.

The Wilson is home to sea-run cutthroat, so do some research on what gets them on the hook. I've one fly fished for them.

all of the daily/multiday licenses come with a combined tag (salmon/steelhead/halibut) for the days they are valid. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: frontierhistorian and probably
Casting Call
Most sales peeps will keep you honest they will fix you up with what you need if you tell where ur going to fish. Remember to let OFF know how u did. Tony10%er
 
probably
Casting Call said:
Welcome aboard! Prob. ! day camping eh! Catch one fish and you will want to fish the next morn. before you leave, right? Do the math that takes a 2 day license. Myself I wouldn't concern with a target fish, just fish have fun. We don't know what type gear you have. For all the info you are getting here let us know how you do. Tony 10%er

Thanks CC. Wanting to fish again the next morning is a fantastic point! Really appreciate all the replies and I will certainly post something when I get back.

Here's my gear list. No idea if I'm missing anything important. This first trip is all about learning and I won't be too disappointed if I don't catch anything. The primary goal is fresh air and a bit of solitude.

Berkley PowerBait Glitter Trout Bait - Chartreuse
Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod
Pflueger President Spinning Reel - Model PRESSP20X
Bass Pro Shops Crane Swivel with Fast-Lock Snap - #7 - Nickel
Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Wide Gap Bait Hook - L042 - #8
Lelands Lures EZ Trout Floats
Assorted weights
 
Casting Call
You might try behind the Tillamook Forest cultural center. cross over the bridge in back of the center walk to or drive around to the park or the Jones Creek campgrounds pick a spot on the river keep your back to the cliff wall and the wind blow will right over you. Easy access to both. best catching at both. Tony 10%er
 
Last edited:
frontierhistorian
I understand you want to camp along the Wilson, but if you also want to jump back into fishing, why not try Hagg or one of the other stocked lakes?
 
rogerdodger
frontierhistorian said:
I understand you want to camp along the Wilson, but if you also want to jump back into fishing, why not try Hagg or one of the other stocked lakes?
good point, for the most part, coastal rivers are not known for having many resident trout in them. What they have are runs of 'transient' fish- salmon, steelhead, and searun cutthroat.

However, many coastal lakes get lots of trout planted in them between Feb. and June.
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude and Casting Call
Casting Call
rogerdodger said:
. question

However, many coastal lakes get lots of trout planted in them between Feb. and June.
How true it is! pelletheads are for eating, River fish are for sport C&R. There are some lakes that I would not eat any fish caught from them. Quantity or quality that is the question? Tony 10%er
 
Diehard
Your missing night crawlers and small panther martin spinners on your gear list that's a great list for a day at the lake but not as effective on a river if i could take one lure to the river for trout it would be a spinner good luck out there👍
 
  • Like
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
frontierhistorian said:
I don't know how the rules work for one-day angling with respect to salmon and steelhead, but normally you need an Adult Combined Angling Tag if you harvest any of those fish. Maybe someone else on the list knows?
Don't need a tag if your fishing for trout.
 
troutdude
probably said:
Thanks CC. Wanting to fish again the next morning is a fantastic point! Really appreciate all the replies and I will certainly post something when I get back.

Here's my gear list. No idea if I'm missing anything important. This first trip is all about learning and I won't be too disappointed if I don't catch anything. The primary goal is fresh air and a bit of solitude.

Berkley PowerBait Glitter Trout Bait - Chartreuse
Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod
Pflueger President Spinning Reel - Model PRESSP20X
Bass Pro Shops Crane Swivel with Fast-Lock Snap - #7 - Nickel
Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Wide Gap Bait Hook - L042 - #8
Lelands Lures EZ Trout Floats
Assorted weights
Hooks are too big, for Power Bait. Not to mention that Power Bait falls OFF of any hooks, in fast moving water. But the size 8 hooks are the right size, if you use Power Eggs instead of the dough bait. Two or three Power Eggs will float such hooks (leave the tip bare for good hooksets).
 
Eazy-E
i would try a worm under a float.
 
Chromatose
  • Like
Reactions: Casting Call
probably
Back from my little overnight camp. Didn't catch anything but had a great time exploring, practicing knot tying and casting, and watching the water cruise by. I'll probably buy a proper license and do some day trips to stocked lakes one of these weekends.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll keep trying!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chromatose, Casting Call, Admin and 1 other person
Top Bottom