Favorite reels for float fishing? Level wind vs. spin?

J
Jiggy
I'm officially addicted to bobber and worm, or jig. I just picked up a 9'6" rod, but I'm not sure what reel to pair with it. Any opinions?

Y
Yogidabear
I use a stradic 3000 and a shimano ci4 the ci4 is just a tad bit lighter both are excellent.

J
Jiggy
Thanks for the reply, I was looking at a small spooled okuma, but I heard that they've got plastic gears. I wondered about the shimano, and I've never heard of a stradic. But I'll look into it. Thanks

J
Jiggy
Ok, so your a spin guy. I was fishing next to a guy last week that had a spin setup. It looked like a great way to go. I usually use ambassador reels. I've got a 5001c, 5501c3x2, and a5301 I'm using for now. I was told by a guy at fishermans that the okuma was nice. I have to admit that I liked the feel of it, but it sounds like a nice spin reel is what I'm after.

S
simijab
I agree with the stradic. That's what I use and its an awesome set up

J
Jiggy
2 votes for Stradic. Apparently the drag is sufficient for steelies? I've seen people using spin gear for all kinds of fishing. But my only experience with them is for trout, it looks as though I've been missing the boat. Thanks guys

A
azbohunter
Glad to read the positives on the Stradic, I bought one last fall, an FI which was before the FJ, with no box or paper work for $99. and they filled it with line! It was new in the display case but last years model..NOW I need a rod for it!

J
Jiggy
I got an im8 berkley. I have the salmon version, but I got the lighter one for steelies. It's 9'6" so I thought it would be good for bobber work. I looked really hard at the okuma, but I think the reel seat is too small. A friend of mine lost a reel off of one last year. It could've been user error, but if you compare it with other rods it is smaller on the back end. Fishermans has a killer sale on lamiglass, berkley, okuma, and I think one other right now, until the 17th I'm pretty sure. Your probably looking for something higher end, but they're good for the price.

A
azbohunter
Thanks Jiggy for the input! I have a friend that reps for a higher end rod manufacturer that is checking into some pricing for me. I will see where that leads me as I am not in a big hurry. I will not be able to put it to use till summer anyway, as much as that hurts when I look at the steelie pictures on this forum!

S
simijab
I fish the 9'6" claurus and a stradic ultimate combo

S
steelhead1
Jiggy said:
I got an im8 berkley. I have the salmon version, but I got the lighter one for steelies. It's 9'6" so I thought it would be good for bobber work. I looked really hard at the okuma, but I think the reel seat is too small. A friend of mine lost a reel off of one last year. It could've been user error, but if you compare it with other rods it is smaller on the back end. Fishermans has a killer sale on lamiglass, berkley, okuma, and I think one other right now, until the 17th I'm pretty sure. Your probably looking for something higher end, but they're good for the price.

Those are my favorite rods!Never had one let me down. Relatively inexpensive,a nice fast action and metal guides. I am partial to the pfluger president reels,they seem to hold up longer for me than the shimano reels.And are simple to disassemble for maintenance.Pair it up with some 30lb power pro braid,and you have got a bulletproof setup:D

S
steelie_killa
I got a xmg50 9'6' paired with my stradic ci4 3000 n spooled with 15lb nanofil line...luv it...landed 10+lbs steelie with no problem...

T
TimberTodd
I use a Pfluger President spinning reel and am very happy with it.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I got the Berkley IM8 to start fishing again after my old stuff got stolen. It was only supposed to be temporary until I could replace my old setup but still take it and catch fish. It's been a good rod and even slammed my hatchback door on it accidentally. It hasn't broken and still catching fish on it and I'm still impressed with it for being a cheap rod. Paired it with a Penn Fierce and surprised with this combo. For $120 with this combo I have caught many good sized fish since last September. I just upgraded to a Fetha Styx for float fishing with a Quantum Array I have had for years but setup my Berkley/Penn combo for spinning and drifting and still take it with me every time.

As far as the original question goes I prefer spinning reels for float fishing as I feel I can control my bobber easier. I also hate backlashing while my bobber floats and having to mess with that. Actually lost fish because I couldn't set my hook from messing with my reel.

J
Jiggy
Great info guys. That's what I needed. I totally se your point about the back lashing. I've been having the same issues when I'm fishing upstream and reeling in slack. It gets to be a pain trying to keep some tension on the line with your fingers while retrieving. I'm upgrading my equipment over all, so I'm going with the IM8, with a level wind. Then I'll get a spin setup with a nice reel like your suggesting. Those shimano'sdo look really nice. I might try the okuma for the spin setup. I don't know why, but I just like em. A friend of mine won't buy anything else, I guess it's wearing of on me. Thanks guys

J
Jiggy
I've used pfluger fly reels all my life. I'll take a look at them in the store next time I'm down there. For fly reels they were pretty heavy in comparison to others. But they were also reliable, well built reels.

T
Tinker
I would avoid Okuma products. I had two 4000-sized spinning reels and returned both of them because their drags were inconsistent, sometimes slipping and other times hanging. They tested them on "Beyond the Cast" on TV and they had the same drag problems I'd had, so it may be a problem across the entire lineup.

I'm not a fan of Shimano. They are good reels, but IMHO, are overpriced. I own a Symetre 4000 and I like it, but I have a Pflueger President XT 4000-size (now discontinued) that I like a lot more than the Symetre and it cost $30 less. The Stradic feels like a heck of a reel in the stores, but I'm not big on all graphite reels; graphite is too fragile for a klutz like me who's been known to throw a rod down to get my fish on board, and if I bang that graphite support arm just right, the reel's a goner. I broke a high-end rod doing that; although it didn't break in two until the next cast, the damage was done when I dropped it on the gunwale...

You might not be such an idiot, so your mileage may vary. And on the plus side, the graphite Shimano's - Stradic, Spheros, Symetre and Sahara - can be used in saltwater with a lot less concern about corrosion.

I have the Symetre on a Berkley Air IM8 and have no issues about the reel seat. Maybe it's a different foot? I have the Pflueger on a Lamiglas Norwest Special (also discontinued) and it's a perfect balance.

D
durantmatt
I use a pflueger supreme 40 on my St. Croix wind river 9'6 ML. Love the reel for balance and a heavy drag that I can rely on for steelhead or salmon.

J
Jiggy
I might regret it in the end, but I got an okuma Citrix that I'm loving enough that I got another one. They cast nicely and the little amount of time that I've had it I only had one issue. It got wet, then started backlashing horrible. I pulled off the cap on the side, wiped it out and I was back in business. For the money I'm loving them.

V
viper0463
My current float setups I use are a st. Croix wild river 9' lite with a shimano symetre 2500. My other is a gloomis 9' lite gl2 with a symetre. I just bought a st. Croix avid 9'6" medium lite with a daiwa lexa 2500. So far I like the lexa much better than the shimano but I need more time with it to give a true opinion. I'm thinking about getting a centerpin setup for float fishing though. I really want to try it out.