Electroshock recovery

M
mezzfin
We spent the last 2 days at Cobble Rock campground seeing how the river was recovering from being electrofished for the ODFW count last week. Short answer: it has a ways to go. I've fished that stretch a handful of times before, and the whole run through that campground is a joy of pocket water & tailouts that usually produces modest bows and more than enough whitefish. This time, that stretch produced almost nothing. Downstream, though, even just by 25 yards, is a different story! The electrofishing was done from the dam down to Cobble Rock, so we walked to the farthest downstream end of the Cobble Rock campsite, waded in, and the Crooked was on fire: bows gobbling midges, princes, scuds, green copper johns, etc., all in 18s or 20s. There were periodic hatches throughout the day, and the bows were after small BWOs & elk hair caddis patterns. Size averaged 8-10", but a couple 12" and a 14" were landed, too. To see if the fishing really was better down stream from the electro-count, we popped in at some of the other campsites downstream and were rewarded with much more action and even got into too many whitefish. I'd give it another week before I'd spend too much time upstream from Cobble Rock, but I'd go tomorrow (if I could) downstream! Lousy shot of one of the bows, some of my arsenal, and some epic scenery!

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
nice work,i can't wait to get over there!!!!!!!!!

C
colt
Looks like paradise to me :)

Nice work. Them flies look appealing to me ;) Make them yourself?

M
mezzfin
These are all store bought - supporting my fellow tiers!