Drift Boat vs. Raft?

K
Kevney Dugan
Im moving out from Jackson Wyoming in a couple of weeks and have fished and rowed a lot of driftboats. My preference is to fish out of driftboats however I have heard much of the waters around central oregon such as the deschutes are better fished from rafts due to water at certain CFS's. If anyone has good advice about this topic it would be much appreciated.
I look forward to seeing some new waters this fall.
Regards and tight Lines!

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to Oregon and OFF...

Welcome to Oregon and OFF...

Nice to have you on the site, as far as what is better a raft or a boat...hopefully some one else has a view, as long as your on the water it will improve your catch ratio. Again welcome to OFF.

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
If you are pretty versed on the sticks, I would get get a drift boat... I don't know if you are moving to central Oregon, but the Deschutes can be done in a drift almost year round, if you hit the right sections, although it has been very low this year...Water flow, will dictate which of the central rivers you can run effectively. If you are moving somewhere in the Willamette Valley, a sled or drift is the only way to bang it. Let us know where you might be movin to, and what species you most enjoy targeting, and I'm sure a lot more of us could chime in...And If I can ask, why leave Jackson? That is truly beautiful country out there. Even though you can't hook up 50 lb. fish, the cutties are thick through some sections, as the fish in my little display is a Wyoming Cutthroat. Let us know, and welcome to the forums man!

K
Kevney Dugan
I will be in Bend and chasing steelhead primarily although some smallmouth on the John Day will be a good summer time fix for a bend in the rod as well as some trips down to the Lower Sac and Trinity in California. Im all about hitting the road and seeing new water. I feel very comfortable on the oars and have floated many of the tricky sections on the Snake, Yellowstone, Madison etc.... in a drift boat.
I work for Orvis and am coming to bend to Manage the fishing department of the new Orvis Bend Store. I can't wait to get there and do some steelheading. I look forward to learning the new waters with some of you if anyone is up for it.

R
redhawk50
Smallmouth on the John Day are a blast! Most of the upper section, around Service Creek and middle to Clarno is pretty easy drift boat water. I have only done lower then Clarno in a raft and have only seen rafts after the Clarno Rapid in the summer once the water level drops. Have seen some drift boats down there when the water is high enough to skirt the Clarno rapid on river right where it branches before the rapid. Also heard about and saw a sunk drift boat on the rapid above Clarno Rapid, which I would say was due to poor boating.

K
Kevney Dugan
It sounds as if there are plenty of sections that are drift boat accessible and the sections that aren't are not a huge priority. As long as the majority of the steelhead water and most of the summer stuff is doable then Im in. Are there any Clacka dealers in or near bend besides the main one in Portland.
Thanks for all of your comments!

A
ArcticAmoeba
Your best bet is Walterville, OR for a Clackacraft dealer. About an hour and a half west of Bend. You should have plenty of good steelhead waters around Bend, just in time to start the winter sets. Good water for wild fish, for sure...RedHawk, quite a few folks who don't have much stick trickery, get turned sideways above the Clarno Rapid, and the hydraulic pressure pulls on the downriver gunnell and you start to fill, and in 20 seconds your already half full, waiting to be a stern and bow sticking up in another 10-15, and thats it. All she wrote. Seen that on the Clackamas too above the Minefield. K.D., at least you have enough experience to run the Madison. That gets real technical at certain flows...The Deschutes should be no problem after your basic precautionary scouts, and read up on drifts you are interested in, and local tackle shop guys all have a favorite, so ask around.

K
Kevney Dugan
My biggest concern is the White Water. I have floated many low water boulder fields and guided some technical sections and am more worried about the big white water and hydrolics that high water presents out here. I would love to know a low profile does the trick although I have heard there is some big water that requires at least a high side.
I can't wait to see the new waters and if any of you are looking for an excuse I will be up for it come the middle of september.
Thanks again everyone for your input

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hey at least, on the Deschutes, when you pull into certain launches on the weekends, and see a bunch of rubbers inflateables...you know you should not drop the drift in... I would get a lower profile bottom knocker, as it is easier to maneuver in tight spots, and way nicer to fish out of in my opinion. High gunns are good for winter flows when it gets to really turn, but even then, I don't think the boulder fields would change into ragers around here with increased flows, but I do not know the Deschutes very well, so, ya know how that goes...If your excusing yourself for a day or something, and looking for someone to take up space, I could probably arrange something. At least I fish alright, as my river stick skills are doubtful. At best. Have not fish with anyone out there in a long time. Hope you like the new digs when you get here!

G
geoduck
fishing from a floating device

fishing from a floating device

is not permitted on the lower Deschutes, from Warm Springs to the mouth. I only bring it up since no one else seems to have mentioned it.

Troutski
Troutski
geoduck said:
is not permitted on the lower Deschutes, from Warm Springs to the mouth. I only bring it up since no one else seems to have mentioned it.

You can still use a floating device to get there, but once your there you must leave the floating device and fish from land, gravel bar; any thing other than what you arrived on. If I read the regs. right.

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah at least in Bend he does have some good drifts, and there are a few spots of faster water, with narrow chutes, that drift fishing terminal, or flying works the best. It is nice drifting, and every so often fish from the bank in waders. Really fun stuff.

Troutski
Troutski
Fall River...

Fall River...

ArcticAmoeba said:
Yeah at least in Bend he does have some good drifts, and there are a few spots of faster water, with narrow chutes, that drift fishing terminal, or flying works the best. It is nice drifting, and every so often fish from the bank in waders. Really fun stuff.

Do you ever fish Fall River in central Oregon ? If not - you should make a pilgrimage; without a doubt the most beautiful place and the place pales in comparison to the Rainbows that call it home. Simply amazing :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have, just a few times though...And yes absolutely amazing place! Really doesn't bother you if the bite is off, which it never is, it seems! But really a place for everyone to see at least once. I fish it normally out of Three Rivers, and it is really fun every time I have gone.