Dinky Sunday at Hagg

M
mikeee2362
Since all the rivers were pretty blown, I decided to try Hagg Lake. I arrived well before first light and decided to try the Sain Creek area. With the rain coming down the water was high and the creek was really pumping. Right away I tried a few spinner offerings in the dark with no luck. I switched to a chartruese-ish Power Egg out of a jar of "Rainbow" eggs and pretty much immediately caught my first fish of the day...a monster 10 incher...felt good to release a giant like that to grow up and be caught again(hopefully not till it has grown several years). Anyway I was glad to know that something was biting and It would be a great day full of Catchin'....Dinks....LOTS of dinks. I had a great time with a new found fishing buddy(I met him there) talking fishing and hunting as we tried to improve the size of our catch...not happening.
Although I flattened out the barbs on my hooks I did manage to get a few bleeders that had to be kept. So after about a dozen or so releases I had four on a stringer and decided to go try for bigger game elsewhere.
I shoulda just kept one more there and called it good. I went around to Launch A where there was plenty of fisher folks trying it right off the parking lot, but they were a bit discouraged as I only heard of one bite had, by a guy that already left. I decided I would go for a hike and try to get to the stream just north of Launch A. I had already stripped off my rain pants for muddiness, so as not to muck up the inside of the truck , and the path in that direction was a nice paved trail so with out my muck boots or rain gear pants I took off with a couple rods and pack. Well the pavement ends a ways back and so since I was already there I pressed on. Well I only fell a couple times but it was mucky enough to mess up my jeans, and back, and elbows etc. And never heard of another bite the whole way. Shoulda, coulda stayed put.
It was a nice day, beautiful for a rainy day. My suggestion for Hagg Lake is take your kids, gobs of power eggs and go to Sain Creek early!!
1091472_622541801162110_538390763_o.jpg

2014-03-09 07.39.25.jpg

Sain Creek at sunup....nice.

N
nxx10
yup sain creek is the place to be shhhhh its a secret. Great report I can't wait to get OFF the couch and fish it Friday at the crack of dawn.

M
michael_g
Thanks for the report. I fished monday 03/10/14. Water was up, and cloudy. Started at sain creek, and caught two stockers. Very slow, compared to last week. Moved around lake, and tried several places. Called it a half day. You all have a good en.

K
kalpin34
Hey!! i think I'm in your picture there! surprised there weren't any big spawners holding near the mouth there.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the report Mike. Nice picture too.