Dear Mr. Steelhead, I hate you so much.

J
JeannaJigs
I go with jigs more often than not but I'm kinda biased, it's my preferred method. I don't go without roe though, I take everything so I'm prepared for whatever is thrown at me. I haven't seen the river myself in a week, so no clue what it actually looks like, I imagine it's clearing some, but probably has quite a bit of color to it still. I've been doing quite well with pink and white jigs this year and last. As far as floats go, I prefer to use thill sliders (I deplore fixed floats) but they're spendy, and I had a family member raid my tackle bag, so I'm pretty sure I'm left with foam floats, oh well they work too! I also recommend braided mainline if your going to do much float fishing (it floats and creates less drag than mono), if you just want to try it out and see how you like it, mono is fine, but as soon as you use braided, you'll fall in love with it and never look back. just keep your jig (or roe) 6-10 inches off the bottom and you'll be golden. You can run roe under a float, just gotta use enough split shot to drop it down there (or pencil lead, whichever you prefer). I should probably be tying up some spawn sacs tonight but I lack the motivation to get my hands dirty at the moment.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
JeannaJigs said:
I also recommend braided mainline if your going to do much float fishing (it floats and creates less drag than mono), if you just want to try it out and see how you like it, mono is fine, but as soon as you use braided, you'll fall in love with it and never look back.

Isn't that the truth. I started using that P-line floating type for bobber fishing this year. Two weeks into it I tried to fish a bobber with mono and it just SUCKED! I literally made two casts and changed back to a drift rig.

J
JeannaJigs
Haha I did the same thing, I took a different reel a few trips back because I thought i'd screw with some spinners and a side planer and plugs, so I opted for the mono for the elasticity factor..well I got to the hole and changed my mind and rigged up for a float and jig..sucked in a big way, I will NEVER EVER go back. braided line is a beautiful thing and I will use it until the day I die. People that have only used mono don't have a clue what they're missing out on. It's soooo much stronger too, I cut my hand trying to break off when I got snagged, it would not give for anything, finally just said forget it and cut it off with my knife.

N
ninja2010
... braid/spectra is the shiznitz...

J
JeannaJigs
Amen.

I'm running some cheap stuff right now (but at least it's not mono!), but I will soon be going back to the spectrex. Nothin' compares. Tried to get some tonight at that evil store they call Joes, but all 8, 10, and 12 pound was gonezo, and, I'm not pushing my luck with 6 pound, though I'm sure it would probably be alright. Soon as they get the 10 pound in stock i'll be back in business.

B
BobberDown
ya i love the 14 pound fire line in hi viss yellow or the 30 pound powerpro in hi vise yellow but tuff line came out with some new stuff called daracast it is made for spining reels it looks perfect for bobber and jig fishing the line holsaler i bye al my p-line from showed it to me and he is sending me some in a hi viss yellow to try and ill let you guys know what i think or i night give t to jiggalot to try out any ways you guys will here back the rep told me it will cost me about 6.25 for a 125 yrds od 20 pound test and that is cheap for good brade i hope t is as good as it looks well i will get back to you guys have a good evning

J
JeannaJigs
get back to me on how that works, that's a very good price if it's good quality braid, I'm interested to see how you like it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Brain cramps

Brain cramps

BobberDown said:
ya i love the 14 pound fire line in hi viss yellow or the 30 pound powerpro in hi vise yellow but tuff line came out with some new stuff called daracast it is made for spining reels it looks perfect for bobber and jig fishing the line holsaler i bye al my p-line from showed it to me and he is sending me some in a hi viss yellow to try and ill let you guys know what i think or i night give t to jiggalot to try out any ways you guys will here back the rep told me it will cost me about 6.25 for a 125 yrds od 20 pound test and that is cheap for good brade i hope t is as good as it looks well i will get back to you guys have a good evning

Ok,now I have another brain cramp! SO much to keep learning from all you wonderful younguns. I plan on taking at least 1/2 of my reels in to Sportsman's and switching over to braided line. I had no idea...thanks for the lesson and updating an ol' fisherwoman's way of thinking. I am definitely interested in hearing the results of your "testing". Keep us all posted. Be safe.
Barb

H
Hawk
In the last 10 lustrums most of the time i've used mono on my reels. Right now on my bass reel i have 12lb Maxima ultra green...........................:D:D:D.......................:cool::cool:

J
JeannaJigs
I only use braided when I run floats, otherwise it's whatever 10 pound mono catches my eye, I'm not faithful to just one specific brand.

L
luv2fish
I stand with hawk....i use 12 maxima as well...with 10# floro leader

B
BobberDown
im with you i just fish braid for float fishing well and back bouncing but evry thing elce i use 10-15 pound mono i manly use 12 pound i lov the p-line CX preum in mossgreen it is 2 centce a yard there for it is cheap but very high quality it is a florocarbon coted mono very strong has good knot strenth is very abraishoin revistant and the 12 pound CX has the same line diamiter as 8 pound maxima ultra green the cx is nice and limp so it cast super smooth i use it for all my leaders main line if it is not braid great line to give a try i use to use maxima ultra green for about 15 year of my life than i found this stuff i love it i you can give it a try oh and the CX comes in hi viss yellow to witch make it a perfect side drifting line and i know a lot of center pinn fishermen are useing it for there main line i like it well good luck i hope it is some use full info to someone every one have a good day
thaks Dan

Last edited:
F
FreshMoneyFisher
P-Line

P-Line

I second the thoughts on P-Line CX.....just put this on my spinning reel in 8 lbs test.....went out this past weekend (with no luck mind you). But I did get a couple of snags that....well lets just say I've never had to work so hard to break a snag off. And when I did, sounded like a gun went off.

This stuff is STRONG! Ties great knots, very small diameter, good 'fishy' color too.

J
JeannaJigs
FreshMoneyFisher said:
I second the thoughts on P-Line CX.....just put this on my spinning reel in 8 lbs test.....went out this past weekend (with no luck mind you). But I did get a couple of snags that....well lets just say I've never had to work so hard to break a snag off. And when I did, sounded like a gun went off.

This stuff is STRONG! Ties great knots, very small diameter, good 'fishy' color too.
Gotta be careful with the stuff, I cut my hand trying to break off a snag! The stuff just does not give, it's amazing.

F
fourgotten
JeannaJigs said:
Gotta be careful with the stuff, I cut my hand trying to break off a snag! The stuff just does not give, it's amazing.

If you carry a short (three-inch or so) dowel with you, you won't have to worry about that... just loop the line around the dowel and use it as a handle. Also helps in tightening knots. I usually just use my Swiss Army knife as a handle... saves me carrying around YET ANOTHER thing :) or I wrap it around my wrist on the outside of my jacket or long-johns :whistle:...

You only need cut yourself once with braid to remember it forever... :(

J
JeannaJigs
fourgotten said:
If you carry a short (three-inch or so) dowel with you, you won't have to worry about that... just loop the line around the dowel and use it as a handle. Also helps in tightening knots. I usually just use my Swiss Army knife as a handle... saves me carrying around YET ANOTHER thing :) or I wrap it around my wrist on the outside of my jacket or long-johns :whistle:...

You only need cut yourself once with braid to remember it forever... :(
Haha indeed. I wrap it around my wrist over my jacket or sweatshirt these days, I won't be forgetting anytime soon how that braid feels digging into my skin. Never thought to use my knife to wrap it around, i have to have the knife anyways as my stupid clippers aren't strong enough to cut the stuff. I will remember that, thanks!

H
Hawk
Well, i gotta go, almos time to watch...24...

After All my name is Jack Hawk.........................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:................................:cool::cool::cool:

N
ninja2010
JeannaJigs said:
i have to have the knife anyways as my stupid clippers aren't strong enough to cut the stuff.

rapala has a great pair of small scissors that's designed to cut braid. snip, snip - works great. never liked clippers coz all they do is "shave" the coating and leave the strands frayed...

H
Hawk
JeannaJigs said:
Haha indeed. I wrap it around my wrist over my jacket or sweatshirt these days, I won't be forgetting anytime soon how that braid feels digging into my skin. Never thought to use my knife to wrap it around, i have to have the knife anyways as my stupid clippers aren't strong enough to cut the stuff. I will remember that, thanks!

I always carry my Bowie knife.................................:lol::lol::lol:..................................:cool::cool::cool:..........................cut the line instead of bleed out...................................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

J
JeannaJigs
I had a bowie knife that mysteriously dissappeared, I think my roomate at the time had something to do with it lol, I miss that knife. These days I carry a small 5" gerber something or another for bleeding out these mysterious fish I can't seem to catch anymore, and a machete for slaying blackberries.