Daiwa Saltist STTLW30HA or Shimano Tekota TEK500LC

J
JHawk
I'm putting a plunking rig together and I'v narrowed it down to two reels. Both are level wind and in the same $180 price point.

Does one prevent backlash better?

Which one would you recommend?

18406ej
18406ej
Are you talking about the plunking in which one casts bait a few feet out and waits for a cowbell to ring?

My skill with level wind reels is pretty damn high- if I have about 20' of free line wrapped around the reel and apply Scotch Tape to firmly secure any more line from coming out.

I live and will die a staunch Shimano supporter. Their customer service isn't what it was even 5 years ago, but their products are smooth, long-lasting and bullet proof.

Eamon

O
OnTheDrop
Both are great reels. I'd take the Tekota though. I love 'em.

BUT, why would you get a line counter for plunking?

If it's strictly for plunking get a Abu Ambassadeur and call it good. You'll save some coin too..

My 0.2

E
eugene1
I've never used a saltist, but I wouldn't want to be casting my Tekota LC very often. Good for a boat rod.

Best,

J
JHawk
eugene1 said:
I've never used a saltist, but I wouldn't want to be casting my Tekota LC very often. Good for a boat rod.

Best,

What would be a good reel then for salmon and steelhead plunking in the Willy?

E
eugene1
Abu 6501 would get 'er done. I've got three of them, they're a good solid reel.

Good luck,

Casting Call
Casting Call
Go with Abu as E-1 suggested. I have a 55 year old red sweden Abass. and a 6500 and 6501. The 00 & 01 are only three years old. I swear by them. GL Tony

Aervax
Aervax
I vote for Abu, too. I own 1 Tekota and 3 Abu. Add to these 7 other high end baitcast reels of bass fishing size and variety. Abu is smooth and backlashes less than any of them. I originally bought them because of the robust drag and brass gears for Peacock Bass in the Amazon. They are pretty much all the only bait casters I use now.