Crazy bass surface action @ Hagg, 4-17...weird

B
bubs
As I mentioned in another thread, I went to Hagg Lake with some friends on Sunday 4-17 and got into some bass from shore in shallow water along the east side of the lake.

The interesting part was all the crazy surface action I witnessed. I was there from about 4 until 6, and the whole time bass were hitting stuff (mostly bugs I think? Could be some baitfish too, was hard to tell) on the surface left and right, even fighting each other for the scraps. BTW, the water was clear so I could get easy ID on the fish, and yes they were bass. I was wishing I had some fly gear, or any surface lures, to take advantage of the action, but unfortunately all I had that day were nightcrawlers and plastics (which I tried to run on the surface, to no avail...it was worth a shot!).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there, in case anyone's heading out there soon...maybe bring along the fly rod and some dry flies! Or other surface lures. Also, has anyone seen that kind of thing this time of year, in that context? Because I definitely haven't.

troutdude
troutdude
I used to catch a lot of smallies, late afternoons, on the Long Tom River. Surface plugs were the ticket; like Lucky 13's, Jitterbugs, Zara Spooks, etc. Been dying, to try that at Hagg--so thanks for the report!

bass
bass
There were trout feeding on the surface all day long on Sunday. I would guess that if you saw big blow ups that it was bass feeding on the trout.

B
bubs
Good thought, and maybe you're right. But this was in a spot where trout don't usually go (don't want to go into detail, just trust me... ;)) Plus, I could see the bass clearly (like, enough detail to tell smallie from largemouth) and I think they were chasing something small.

But on the other hand, I know bass go after trout at Hagg in places...I've been thinking of blowing some money on some nice big trout swim baits and seeing what kind of monsters I can rustle up that way!

B
Berg03
well trout will be in every single part of that lake. Not a single spot that wont have a trout swim through.

B
bubs
OK, let's just say I was a little vague when I said "east side of the lake"....

But, Berg - I agree, I'm sure trout stray into every inch of Hagg at some point or another. But there are definitely places they don't congregate in certain conditions/times of year...and this was one of those places at the time where, as I say above, they don't usually go in numbers. You sound like you know the lake well, I'm sure you might be able to imagine one or two places that fit the bill...very shallow, very warmwater-fish-y...at the limits of boat accessibility...

B
Berg03
im not saying it wasn't bass at all. I am just saying it could have been small trout near the surface and bass coming up and creaming them thats all. I was at hagg today for 8 hours. over 30 trout and about 10 bass. Kept 5 trout for a friend all over 14 inches