Cooper Creek Fishing

S
Scarecro
i went to cooper creek on friday and didn't catch a thing. To be honest, i always have better luck at plat I. i fished along the dam for a long time and nothing. Went around to the first cove, nothing. seems like you need a boat to catch anything this early.

Care to let me in on a good location moose?

M
MontanaMoose
Cooper Creek

Cooper Creek

Hello Scarecro, well I pretty much bank it, but I do have some preferred spots. The dam is about the last place I fish unless it's a quick trip. Also I don't stop at
ther first cove on the trail, instead I go to the third cove...the first one with the
speed markers at the inlet and I spend a lot of time all up and down the near side.

Bass are starting to show in there and everywhere really, but that last storm put
them off plus that great moon so I haven't been since. I am going today though
sometime and I'll be starting at the second pull out past the upper boat ramp. It's right after the parking area for the kid's beach. I hike straight down the hill and then I fish along the bank to my left, constantly moving, not really staying in one
place for long.

I try to sneak along plus I cast close to the bank first, do a slow retrieve then cast
out a ways a few times...countdown then slow retrieve. Casting to my left up along and close to the bank seems to produce the best plus any structure is good
to cast to a few times. Bass will get p'o'd sometimes and vicious strikes can result.

Hey, maybe see you up there sometime Scarecro.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
well i finally got myself a nice trout using some powerbait. I fished off the bank right before the boat ramp. I was at that sport for about an hour then the wind picked up a lot and it sort of died. Thanks for the heads up moose? howd you fair?

M
MontanaMoose
Cooper Creek Res again...

Cooper Creek Res again...

Well good Scarecro...was that your Chevy PU parked in the shady pullout by the upper boat ramp? Glad you got the trout. All I had was a
great close call by a good sized lmb, prolly 2.5 lbs. or so...then two other follows that I saw, but
not takes. I did feel what I thought were genuine
bumps but din't see those fish...maybe blue gill
nipping at my oversize bass flies.

Looked to me like early and late would have been the hot setup...I din't get up there till after 1pm or so. Watched about 5 serious bass boaters get one between them in several hours or more of effort. I did here them talking though and the word was that the bass are staging now so I wasn't far off when I was thinking things will pick up. O'cast tomorrow may do the trick...might take the trail from the dam around to the biggest cove.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
MontanaMoose said:
Well good Scarecro...was that your Chevy PU parked in the shady pullout by the upper boat ramp? Glad you got the trout. All I had was a
great close call by a good sized lmb, prolly 2.5 lbs. or so...then two other follows that I saw, but
not takes. I did feel what I thought were genuine
bumps but din't see those fish...maybe blue gill
nipping at my oversize bass flies.

Looked to me like early and late would have been the hot setup...I din't get up there till after 1pm or so. Watched about 5 serious bass boaters get one between them in several hours or more of effort. I did here them talking though and the word was that the bass are staging now so I wasn't far off when I was thinking things will pick up. O'cast tomorrow may do the trick...might take the trail from the dam around to the biggest cove.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
nah, i have a tan explorer. i was up there around 4 or 5. tommrow me and my old lady and dog will be hitting the same spot around the same time. . let me know how that third cove is. id like to take my dog down that trail.

M
MontanaMoose
Third cove

Third cove

Ok, I'd already left by 4 or 5 yesterday. Will check in if anything good comes of hiking over to the cove. Besides the exercise. Trail has been worked on lately so should be easy going for ppl and dogs. Forgot to mention I went over to Platt I for a look yesterday and there wasn't one parking spot or table that wasn't in use.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
Just got back from cooper and had a pretty good session. Caught a real nice trout on some rainbow power bait and caught a largemouth on a blue fox light spinner. That was my first large mouth . i was so stoked. Left cuz it got too windy AGAIN.

Last edited:
M
MontanaMoose
Got back several hours ago...

Got back several hours ago...

I went to Platt I first and zippo...funny though, it wasn't windy there and it was much warmer. PPl were fishing and bluegill was all I saw caught.

Then around 230PM I went around the trail at Cooper to the 3 cove...had a bunch of short strikers...bass...and saw a few gill and crappie. Caught nada at the cove...great hike though and the trail has been cleared.

Back at the dam it wasn't so windy and I saw crappie chasing the bass fly around so I scaled down to a #6 black crappie fly and picked up two
rigth away. I didn't see any bass by the dam. Looked for a tan explorer....din't see one and left at 5PM.

Great you got a bass and a trout Scarecro, you did much better than most I saw. One guy by the boat dock by the dam had a couple of big trout is about all else I saw caught besides my two crappie. See you up there sometime !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Last edited:
S
Scarecro
ill try to post the pics tonight. that spot seems good except for the shallow rock you gotta cast over into the deep. I dont like using a bobber when i use powerbait so its really tough to keep an eye on my line when the wind is blowing so hard. The other struck quick. bout 4 seconds after the spinner hit the water.

Troutcooper.png

Bass-1.png

Last edited:
M
MontanaMoose
Looks like Coop !

Looks like Coop !

Great pics Scarecro....bet I've been to that exact spot a bunch of times !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
Its the pullout right before the second boat ramp. We showed up around 4:30 and left around 6:30. Right across from the cove with the white booey. I got the day off work tomorrow so i might be up there a little earlier.

M
MontanaMoose
2nd boat ramp

2nd boat ramp

I know the place and that's a nice bank spot. I'm going outofstate today or I'd have come up and said hello.

Oh, one other place you might like is the pullout just past the kids beach pullout. I
go straight down the hill and start at the point if there's no one there then I work my way up the bank to the left and there are a lot of good bass mini-coves and drops...the other side of the weed beds are getting good now too. Catch a big one. I'll have the laptop whilst traveling so I'll check in Scarecro.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
its 3:30 and im headed to that spot ur telling me about. sick of these girly trout. i want to catch me some mean bass:D

M
MontanaMoose
Girly trout, mean bass

Girly trout, mean bass

You got that right Scarecro...can't wait til the first time you tye into a big 6 pounder up there at Cooper...

I'm down south for a few days but I'll keep watching the post. How'd you
do up there past the kid's beach?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
no luck anywhere. lost one in the water cuz i suck but nothing much. It was cold and windy so i could only hang for about an hour. But ill be hitting that spot again on the next warm day. My buddy is renting a house out bout a quarter mile past the tyee bridge. im headed there this weekend to try to catch some shad.

You in cali?

M
MontanaMoose
Cooper Creek

Cooper Creek

Well, i din't do much better last trip to Coop....two crappie landed...saw some gill and got a couple of bass chases...some unidentified bumps....things are picking up though and it should be getting good. Yep, in cali now in wild trout heaven, only i'm doing sheetrock and grounds maintenance, so no flyfishing this trip. Hope you do good down at Tyee....'sposed to be 88 around there this weekend according to the news. Hope you catch a 5 lb. smallie down there on the mainstem while yer tryin' for shad.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
depending on what time i get off work, im goin up to cooper today. should be around 80 today so hopefully the bass are moving./

M
MontanaMoose
Too windy yesterday...

Too windy yesterday...

Well I hope it was better today at Coop...yesterday it was white caps at times...I can fish that way but it wasn't any use...din't get but a few short hits on larger fish I couldn't see...lots of gill moving onshore now though...and I saw one crappie...I was at the top end of the lake. Let me know how you did Scarecro.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
nothing. so damn windy today. Ill be up there tomorrow then on saturday im going to lemolo. woot

M
MontanaMoose
Wind Lake

Wind Lake

They should rename it. Yeah, I was noticing how windy it was even here in town after reading your post, figured it was really bad up there...so what time are you going today? Might could check it out since I din't get a chance to flyfish yesterday...already experiencing withdrawals. Going to camp/stay up at Lemolo? Big GB action this time of year maybe?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose