Commonwealth Lake Fishing

P
PDXKush
that's good fishing Michael Congrats. The only reason I like the catch and release is for allowing them to get bigger for future fisherman. I mean we all love to catch trout but when you hook a proper biggun it really makes for a special day :). Either way enjoy what you catch and never take my words for rules or the way it should be it is only my opinion and I would never push my opinion on anyone unless their POACHING ! Peace everyone and happy fishing... I'll be tossing some spinners tomorrow morning/afternoon rain or shine if anyone wants to come down and join me. You'll see me in my Blue Windbreaker on the Huntington side !! Peace

P
pdx89
michaelkim9582 said:
out of all the people that fish there only a select few are C & R ing. and the fact that the minimum length is only 8 inches doesn't help either. Went there again, and the fishing is great. caught 5 and released 4. One was hooked in the stomach. poor thing.:(

hopefuly you dont release fish that get caught in the stomach, and the fish that will die

P
PDXKush
Ya..No need to put bleeders back in the water.

P
pdx89
PDXKush said:
Ya..No need to put bleeders back in the water.

true true:clap:
some states i hear have a law that goes somewhere along the lines of, if you caught a fish(trout) and it will die or not survive you keep it. period.:clap:
... because catching and releasing trout or any other fish for that fact, when after you release will die.. thats just stupid... that should be writen - catch and kill

M
michaelkim9582
thats why I only released 4 out of 5. because one had its stomach hooked.

M
michaelkim9582
what time are you going to be there PDXKUSH?

F
Fishtopher
pdx89 said:
true true:clap:
some states i hear have a law that goes somewhere along the lines of, if you caught a fish(trout) and it will die or not survive you keep it. period.:clap:
... because catching and releasing trout or any other fish for that fact, when after you release will die.. thats just stupid... that should be writen - catch and kill
Not that stupid when you consider the fact that "Any Other Fish" that die actually feed the ecosystem. Any Other Fish's chance of surviving after you release it are far greater than a fish after you kill it. I say kill all the hatchery and invasive/non-native fish you want. But when you start hittin streams, and rivers, or oceans, angling for/around fish that are native to the water you are fishing, the "kill it if it bleeds" or "catch and kill" stuff is non-sense.

N
Noahk
Which species are generally considered " invasive/non-native fish"? Brook and Brown trout, correct?

F
Fishtopher
They arent really trout. They are char.

N
Noahk
Care to explain that a little further?

F
Fishtopher
Whats there to explain? They are introduced species of Char. Introduced "Brook Trout" almost single handedly decimated the population of Native Bull Trout in Crater Lake National Park.

N
Noahk
Fishtopher said:
Whats there to explain? They are introduced species of Char. Introduced "Brook Trout" almost single handedly decimated the population of Native Bull Trout in Crater Lake National Park.
I was unclear the difference between Char and Trout. It looks like both a Brook Trout and Bull Trout are Char while the Brown is in fact actually a trout, but in another Genus (Salmo). So from my 5 minutes on wikipedia browns are a European/Asian fish while the brookies are native to the east coast. Are there other non-native fish in Oregon?

Trout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P
PDXKush
Found this...thought it was interesting...

Probably no other group of fishes has provided more recreation to American anglers than the group commonly called the warm-water or "spiny-rayed" fishes. These are mainly fishes of ponds, lakes and slow moving streams. Such fishes as the crappies and the smallmouth and largemouth bass are well-known among the angling fraternity, and the sunfishes, yellow perch and bullhead catfishes are bywords with almost every school boy across the nation.

Angling for spiny-rayed fishes has been slow to take in hold in Oregon. In the past, Waltonians were prone to look askance at the abundant warm-water fishes. To those anglers, trout were the supreme fish in Oregon and to be caught angling for the lowly crappie or sunfish was indeed a blow to their fishing prestige.

Today, thousands of anglers - many who were confirmed trout addicts - are finding pleasure and recreation in fishing for the warm-water denizens. They have found that it not only takes fishing skill, but that on light tackle these fishes are indeed scrappers in the finest sense, and their table delicacy is unsurpassed.

None of the spin-rayed fishes is native to Oregon, but they are found in almost every state east of the Rocky Mountains. Of the 35 or 49 different species, 16 have been introduced into Oregon waters.

READ fULL ARTICLE HERE :

Warm-water fish of Oregon

F
Fishtopher
Noah, you got Bull and Brown mixed up in the first sentence:). And, according to the Man, Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Striped Bass are introduced. As well as Bluegill, Black Crappie, Channel Cats, Walleye, Yellow Perch, Shad, etc etc...on and on. Sorry if I sounded like a dill wipe when I said "whats there to explain"....;):)

:DPDXKush, we know for sure you didn't write that! :naughty:No way would YOU say "their table delicacy is unsurpassed"!:lol::lol:

P
PDXKush
Lol. Ya no way I wrote that ish !!

N
Noahk
Fishtopher said:
Noah, you got Bull and Brown mixed up in the first sentence:). And, according to the Man, Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Striped Bass are introduced. As well as Bluegill, Black Crappie, Channel Cats, Walleye, Yellow Perch, Shad, etc etc...on and on. Sorry if I sounded like a dill wipe when I said "whats there to explain"....;):)

:DPDXKush, we know for sure you didn't write that! :naughty:No way would YOU say "their table delicacy is unsurpassed"!:lol::lol:
According to the wikipedia article I didn't. It could it be wrong? Anyway thanks for the info.

F
Fishtopher
ya. youre right, i got miffed up.

F
FishSchooler
Fishtopher said:

He he, I'll do my share to lower the shad population. ;) They come back in the millions a year though... :shock: Last year was a small run too. :shock: We consider 300000 chinook a good run, but 2000000+ shad a small run... :shock: The rest of the years had been 3000000+:shock:

W
wanna go fishing
about commonwealth lake . . .

about commonwealth lake . . .

Do I get the impression that is not exactly a clean pristine pond/lake?

Would you you even consider tossing one into a fry pan?:think:

P
PDXKush
I've seen much dirtier lakes/ponds. I'd give it a B- overall which is pretty good. There's some wonderful wildlife there and the people are friendly. The downside is it's not huge, water is pretty murky and there's not much privacy as joggers/walkers are behind you most of the time. But definitely a cool place to drop a line. And an awesome place if you live in the hood. As for eating the fish you find. Unless its a shiny stocked trout of at least 13 inches I would reccomend tossing em back or using them for fertilizer. But again this is just my opinion as I am no scientist/biologist :)

Last edited: