Coho silver salmon above Willamette Falls

M
masmith
wormosa said:
just to let everyone know, i talked a lady today and she came in where i work and she said her husband and her were going fishing at rogets landing in newberg, i probed for the coho issue and she said her and her husband had caught 2 coho's already today, and they were heading back out, i asked her what they used and she said spinners, she said it was where the yamhill river connects with the willamette, i did not see the fish, but my guess is they are in....

I am assuming they had a boat- I see no access via google maps.

A
adambomb
with over 13,000 fish counted so far, I sure hope somebodys catchin them:)

W
wormosa
masmith said:
I am assuming they had a boat- I see no access via google maps.
they did have a boat, she told me one was a 13 lb. and the other was a 20 lb. i found this hard to believe...

W
wormosa

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:
Native steelhead, and hatchery chinook and steelhead make it over the falls.

Without a fishladder?

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
Without a fishladder?

There's a "fish ladder" at Willamette falls.
And I believe fish make it over without using the fish ladder so I've been told.

S
solution7
I gotta see this

I gotta see this

I am gonna make some time next week to go scout this out and try and find these fish near the mouth of the yamhill. I want to find this local fishing. I live in McMinnville and this kind of fishing would be perfect and very close by. I hope the fish aren't too dark.

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:
There's a "fish ladder" at Willamette falls.
And I believe fish make it over without using the fish ladder so I've been told.

I mean before the fish ladder was ever constructed. That fish has gotta have hops. :cool:

B
beaverfan
FishSchooler said:
I mean before the fish ladder was ever constructed. That fish has gotta have hops. :cool:

Before the fish ladder was built they just used the locks that have been there since 1873 or something like that.

S
Steelheader4Life
Solution7,

Most of the fish are pretty dark (or very red) by the time they get to the Yamhill. I have got lucky enough to land a couple chromers last year. After they head up the Yamhill they pour into it's tributaries, but from what I undretsand all Tributaries are closed. Just throw lures and you're almost guaranteed to get one. I seen a few at the mouth of Willamina Creek already, so they have to be all throughout the lower river.

W
wormosa
Steelheader4Life said:
Solution7,

Most of the fish are pretty dark (or very red) by the time they get to the Yamhill. I have got lucky enough to land a couple chromers last year. After they head up the Yamhill they pour into it's tributaries, but from what I undretsand all Tributaries are closed. Just throw lures and you're almost guaranteed to get one. I seen a few at the mouth of Willamina Creek already, so they have to be all throughout the lower river.
gonna throw me some spinners on saturday... i want SALMON !!! lol

W
wormosa
solution7 said:
I am gonna make some time next week to go scout this out and try and find these fish near the mouth of the yamhill. I want to find this local fishing. I live in McMinnville and this kind of fishing would be perfect and very close by. I hope the fish aren't too dark.
i am going saturday and i will update you...and i will be using some tco spinners... and i hope i get one kodiak

F
FishSchooler
beaverfan said:
Before the fish ladder was built they just used the locks that have been there since 1873 or something like that.

I mean like way back when...

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
I mean like way back when...

Like when? When there were dinosaurs? :lol::lol::lol:

F
FishSchooler
Like 1500s?

A
Anyfishisfine
When I was a kid we used to catch smolt in Deer Creek, a Yamhill trib. The old timers say there used to be a nice run up the creek, and to me that means 1940's-1960's.

F
FishSchooler
FishSchooler said:
Like 1500s?

I mean before human's disturbed the river

B
bigfootfish
Coho on the Santiam

Coho on the Santiam

A friend of mind caught a bright, orange-meated 8 pound Coho buck off the Jefferson boatramp yesterday around sunrise. It certainly was a beautiful fish. He lost a larger one which was also bright. These on a #5 rainbow pattern Blue Fox spinner. Actually, just about any spinner will work, he thinks.
As of Oct. 2nd, 14,200 Coho above the falls.

BFF

Last edited:
B
bigfootfish
Coho at Roger's Landing

Coho at Roger's Landing

I need to correct something: it's Roger's Landing at Newberg, not Robert's Landing. My bad.

BFF