Clackamas action?

F
frontierhistorian
Anyone been up on the Clackamas lately (fly fishing or otherwise)?

troutdude
troutdude
From the TGF report just posted on here:

The Clackamas is in peak season right now, with more steelhead than springers being caught. It’s been a good year and water conditions are excellent for weekend anglers, but with the warm temperatures in the forecast, the splash and giggle crowd is soon to follow.

F
frontierhistorian
troutdude said:
From the TGF report just posted on here:

The Clackamas is in peak season right now, with more steelhead than springers being caught. It’s been a good year and water conditions are excellent for weekend anglers, but with the warm temperatures in the forecast, the splash and giggle crowd is soon to follow.
Thanks. My plan is to hunt for trout above the North Fork Reservoir.

troutdude
troutdude
frontierhistorian said:
Thanks. My plan is to hunt for trout above the North Fork Reservoir.
I wondered if that was the case. But I can't help you there. Good luck!

Reactions: frontierhistorian
F
frontierhistorian
troutdude said:
I wondered if that was the case. But I can't help you there. Good luck!
The more I read and research about fishing in western Oregon, the more it becomes apparent that there is a strong bias for lower river/steelhead and salmon/boat fishing. Not a problem, but I keep forgetting that there are more people experienced with a different kind of fishing than I'm increasingly getting into. Case in point is the book Oregon River Maps & Fishing Guide, which has a lot of good stuff in it, but most of the maps and advice don't include the upper portion of the rivers.

Reactions: DOKF
DOKF
DOKF
It helps keep pressure low ...

Reactions: frontierhistorian
Diehard
Diehard
I was introduced to fly fishing on the callowash river since then they have introduced bull trout to this tributary river of the clackamas access might be limited because of road closures but if you get a chance this is a cool little river obviously check regs b4 fishing it

• Screenshot_20220630-085615_Chrome.jpg
troutdude
troutdude
frontierhistorian said:
Case in point is the book Oregon River Maps & Fishing Guide, which has a lot of good stuff in it, but most of the maps and advice don't include the upper portion of the rivers.
I have that book--and it's companion about our popular lakes. I'll have to take another look at it, as I don't recall it not including upper portions of streams.

troutdude
troutdude
Diehard said:
introduced bull trout to this tributary river of the clackamas
FYI It is illegal to target and/or keep bull trout in Oregon. They are a protected specie.

Diehard
Diehard
troutdude said:
FYI It is illegal to target and/or keep bull trout in Oregon. They are a protected specie.
Yes I'm well aware thanks for the heads up i would hate to see someone get in trouble! Check your regs. I actually caught some of the initial bull trout that were planted there a number of years ago also its not illegal to accidentally hook into them by legally fishing for other stocks just be careful handling them 👍

Reactions: troutdude
S
Snopro
troutdude said:
I think we've gone down this road before.;) There are some places in Oregon it's legal to target, and in one case retain, bull trout.

F
frontierhistorian
Snopro said:
I think we've gone down this road before.;) There are some places in Oregon it's legal to target, and in one case retain, bull trout.
Indeed, but if you're one who can't keep up on the nuances of ODFW regs, always treating bull trout as protected is a safe bet. Still, I appreciate reminders about such nuances!
Diehard said:
I was introduced to fly fishing on the callowash river since then they have introduced bull trout to this tributary river of the clackamas access might be limited because of road closures but if you get a chance this is a cool little river obviously check regs b4 fishing it
Yeah, I'm pretty sure road access is closed above Ripplebrook, but if I get that far up there tomorrow, I'll let you all know. Callowash falls under Clackamas River/Mainstem and tributaries above Faraday Diversion: catch and release for trout; closed for salmon and steelhead; harvest of bull trout prohibited.

troutdude
troutdude
Snopro said:
Really?

F
frontierhistorian
troutdude said:
Per ODFW: "Anglers can fish specifically for bull trout in the Metolius River and the Metolius arm of Lake Billy Chinook."

Reactions: Diehard and troutdude