Clack or Sandy...need some advice

A
abel
To me the most exciting thing about catching a Steelhead on a swung fly is the take. The fight and landing is nice too, but in my opinion secondary to the take. When a steelhead takes fly, lure, bait that is dead drifted it is usually a hesitation or subtle tug and you set the hook. With a swung fly it's a usually a jolting pull, you don't set the hook, the fish is just off and running. Swinging can get boring so I usually skate the fly so I can see it and the take is even more exciting. I'm looking forward to experiencing how the carp takes a fly...
Oh and about fishing being relaxing... Well, I would call it absorbing. I get so focused in it that the time flys by and I forget about everything else.

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
abel said:
Oh and about fishing being relaxing... Well, I would call it absorbing. I get so focused in it that the time flys by and I forget about everything else.

I think the same goes for me. I don't really relax, as I'm completely absorbed by the entire process of finding fish and getting them to take. Mostly, that time goes by too fast :)

S
steelhead_slayer
Makes me want to try tangling with a large carp

J
john montana
Carp and steelhead are way apart on the experience spectrum. Carp fly fishing is more about hunting...you walk and look more than you cast. Steelhead (as I know it) is more about faith and rhythm. You cover water and wait for the tug. Don't get me wrong, if all I could do was fish steelhead I would be a happy man indeed, but I do prefer the sight fishing aspects of carp.

In no way do I mean to denigrate steelhead or the methods used to catch them. These fish (especially the natives) are flat out amazing creatures and I have a ton of respect for all of you experts out there who have the method down to an art form. I am flat out a steelhead hack. I felt like I got a little help from my dad last night in hooking up and landing that beautiful fish.

S
steelhead_slayer
Sight fishing is really fun. I have been doing it for big bows in nearby lake a lot lately

I
igquick
I knew there was something special about carp after one broke through my net!! Had to fix it using 20 lb mono but I don't believe it replaces thick mesh...but at least my net is bigger

F
FlyBum
I for one, am just happy to see you with something other than a carp. Great job, and, you aren't a hack :)

R
radke15
where do you work the carp? i've been wanting to get into it but don't really know where to start. i'm an avid fly fisherman mostly trout streams and trying to get into the ole steelie and salmon fishing up in the northwest and am intrigued by carp...

J
john montana
I mostly fish the columbia river, but carp are everywhere. Both the big c and willamette are loaded, just find shallow water and you should see them tailing and feeding (or at least sunning). I tell people that if they walk 100 yards of knee deep water on the river, they are likely to see a carp. all the sloughs and small ponds connected to the river are loaded in the summer as well. a good place to start is sauvie's island. every bit of water out there has carp in it. right now the temps are falling so they are starting to head out a little deeper, but there are still a ton of carp around.

i went 0/3 on salmon yesterday. i couldn't keep a hook in 'em. one was a big old chinook that i fought for 5 minutes or so before he came unpinned. the other two were coho...both jumped and thrashed a few times before the fly came loose. should have landed at least one of them!

V
Van
Great fish John, well done indeed.

N
nativefish
that doesn't look like a "little" hatchery brat, thing is big

J
john montana
Thanks...it was a nice fish. Felt good to catch a steelhead.