Chums!!! On a six weight

A
amnis
Yesterday me and sapo woke up at about 4 we got our gear packed it in the car got some extra layers, brrrr its was cold. Although it was cold I could feel it was going to be a very good fishing trip. Once we got to the river which took a while we saw some fish hopping on the water, this excited us so I put my leader on some tippet and a big bunny leach that was bright pink. After five minutes I had hooked a big chum 7 minutes later I landed it. These fish are banged up from spawning and hitting some rocks but still give a super good fight.

Over the whole day we hooked about 20 fish or so and landed 8 or 9 of them

HAPPY FISHING, amnis

Last edited:
S
sapo
Thanks for the report of our trip. However if you didn't notice I already posted a lengthy report about it, lol

A
amnis
shhhhh... ahah awnser gmail

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've always wanted to fly fish for them. Is that river accessible by drift boat or is it all bank access?

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
I've always wanted to fly fish for them. Is that river accessible by drift boat or is it all bank access?

Its really tiny, I didn't see drift access or boats last time I was there but I can't be 100% sure.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks Jeff. It's on my bucket list.

brandon4455
brandon4455
jamisonace said:

I saw a framed raft barely squeeze through last year, but if you fish the area by the bridge where most public access is there are 3 or 4 deep enough runs fish stack in really good and you can slay them on pretty much anything.

the one problem i see is fly anglers flossing these fish (by swinging flies with long leaders,or using lead and no indicator) and taking them off redds when there is plenty enough deep water to fish instead. Find anything deeper than 2-3ft and you will find butt loads of aggressive fish that have not spawned yet. If you don't mind using big thingamabobbers those and egg patterns or big bright leechy stuff is by far the best way to catch those chums. swinging flies for them is not as effective as you would think,but it does catch fish if you can do it without snagging them. the key is to get a fly and tip weight that swings right above the fish so they have to lift their heads to take the fly instead of it bouncing along their backs as it goes across the run.

Good luck!

A
amnis
ya

ya

brandon4455 said:
I saw a framed raft barely squeeze through last year, but if you fish the area by the bridge where most public access is there are 3 or 4 deep enough runs fish stack in really good and you can slay them on pretty much anything.

the one problem i see is fly anglers flossing these fish (by swinging flies with long leaders,or using lead and no indicator) and taking them off redds when there is plenty enough deep water to fish instead. Find anything deeper than 2-3ft and you will find butt loads of aggressive fish that have not spawned yet. If you don't mind using big thingamabobbers those and egg patterns or big bright leechy stuff is by far the best way to catch those chums. swinging flies for them is not as effective as you would think,but it does catch fish if you can do it without snagging them. the key is to get a fly and tip weight that swings right above the fish so they have to lift their heads to take the fly instead of it bouncing along their backs as it goes across the run.

Good luck!

Exactly i hate snaggers they ruin the fish and ruins the experience.Yes it would be very hard to get a drift boat down the river its very small so i wouldn't try but there is lots of bank access and plenty of casting room good luck, amnia