Chinook Bend salmon/steelhead fishing

M
matt.white.3363334
Could use some adcice please. Im on my way to chinook bend to camp. Was told to plunk kwikfish with sardine to hook some chinook. He didn't know about the steelhead. I just would like to know on what fish to concentrate my efforts on. Help would be greatly appreciated. Still havent hooked a salmon or steelhead bank fishing. :(

C_Run
C_Run
Salmon are there now. Toss big spinners from their dock.

M
matt.white.3363334
Yeah been throwing blue foxes #5 #6 and haven't had much luck. Been traying spin n glos with eggs and sand shrimp but the tiny ugly looking alien looking fish wont leave my bait alone.

M
matt.white.3363334
Thinking of float fishing some eggs. What do you think. Not enough current for the kwikfish the guy at fisherman's told me to plunk.

C_Run
C_Run
We were there Saturday and Sunday mornings trolling in kayaks in case you noticed us hitting it hard at the bend. We saw some people using floats. I'd stick with spinners. There is a bunch of fish there but we couldn't find any biters and only heard of a few caught each day.

M
matt.white.3363334
Were you the one with the yellow kayak. Or the one with the scarf over his face. Was the one casting off the bank at the bend. Still fishless. Lol =/ a gentleman their said its too early for eggs and use shrimp. So gonna try that this evening and tomorrow morning

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
have you tried #5 'rainbow trout' BlueFox? I also would stick with spinners, make sure you let them drop fairly deep before starting your retrieve, and make sure you stop reeling now and then, let the spinner drop, then start reeling again.

C_Run
C_Run
matt.white.3363334 said:
Were you the one with the yellow kayak. Or the one with the scarf over his face. Was the one casting off the bank at the bend. Still fishless. Lol =/ a gentleman their said its too early for eggs and use shrimp. So gonna try that this evening and tomorrow morning

My wife was in the yellow kayak and I was in the little camo/green one and probably wearing a buff because I was starting to get a sunburn. There's a lot of fish in that hole. Don't give up! We will be back at some point this season. That hole is 30' deep in the middle.

M
matt.white.3363334
Thanks for the advice. I'm here till Friday. Gonna throw some spinners after work.

D
DrTheopolis
It varies a bit, but a good rule of thumb is a foot of drop per second. I'm not familiar with that hole, but standard protocol would be cast upstream towards the head of the hole, and give it slack line for 25-30 seconds(if it's 30 FOW) then retrieve as slowly as possible while keeping the blade turning as slowly as possible.

And if they have lockjaw, use as small a spinner as you can make work in the current. If it was me, I'd be the idiot tossing a #2 or #3 on 8# line. If they're not biting big stuff, try small and subtle.

Warm water and Chinook can be a tough gig.