Catch and Release? or Take home and eat your trophy?

Catch and Release? or Take home and eat your trophy?

• Total voters
S
Sasquatch
I love the taste of all the fish I've tried. I usually eat what I catch
however, I did not read the first post so in that situation I would do catch and release.

to the invasive species topic..
Bad Tuna said:
I kill every non native fish that i legally can, in waters where native salmon, trout or steelhead reside. My opinion is they don't belong there. If it's just a farm pond, I only kill what I will eat.
Do you kill every bullfrog you see?
What about every feral cat you see?

Reactions: colbypearson
C
colbypearson
Sasquatch said:
Do you kill every bullfrog you see?
What about every feral cat you see?

good point.....

M
Markcanby
I for the most part agree with you Colby!! I am referring more so to rivers with my points but last time I checked we do live in Oregon an ponds flooding happens oh I dont know for 8 months out of the year. I dont care if you catch a bass an release it anywhere just dont advocate for killing carp in a body of of water unless you plan to kill every bass you catch in said body of water.

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
Markcanby said:
I dont care if you catch a bass an release it anywhere just advocate for killing carp in a body of of water unless you plan to kill every bass you catch in said body of water.

Normally there are reasons that people kill carp other than to just kill carp, There isn't many carp killing cults where they just kill carp to kill them they do it because carp pose many negative impacts on a body of water... we all know this though. I feel like your pooling carp and bass in the same boat? like i said a bass is a valuable game fish in so many ways, what is a carp its an oversized sucker fish that in almost every case if not every single one poses negative impacts on a fishery when they are free to let run, when bass really dont effect much of anything other than in river systems and select other bodies of water... so why would you promote killing of carp and bass equally in ponds, and lakes?

M
Markcanby
I am referring to rivers like I posted above. I am also saying ponds do flood an carry fish into river systems. And yes I am pooling carp an bass together. Because they are both nonnative species that harm our native fish stocks an that is the only thing that matters when it comes to both these fish.

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
3116568747_a56524ecb6.jpg

bass eat trout, trout eat trout.... trout eat a lot of things...

Last edited:
S
Sasquatch
It's a Fish eat fish world

O
OnTheFly
colbypearson said:
Normally there are reasons that people kill carp other than to just kill carp, There isn't many carp killing cults where they just kill carp to kill them they do it because carp pose many negative impacts on a body of water... we all know this though. I feel like your pooling carp and bass in the same boat? like i said a bass is a valuable game fish in so many ways, what is a carp its an oversized sucker fish that in almost every case if not every single one poses negative impacts on a fishery when they are free to let run, when bass really dont effect much of anything other than in river systems and select other bodies of water... so why would you promote killing of carp and bass equally in ponds, and lakes?
Colby, sorry to take this out of text but it kinda got me a little teary eyed.;) Suckers, yellow jackets, and Oregon banana slugs can all go into a box labeled 'No Mercy'

C
colbypearson
OnTheFly said:
Suckers, yellow jackets, and Oregon banana slugs can all go into a box labeled 'No Mercy'

fine with me.....

S
Slick
I love to eat bass. But not any ole bass. Keep the smaller ones and throw anything back over a pound and a half back. They taste so much better and this selective harvest keeps the breeders in the water to make more. Duh, Winning!

Reactions: tomriker
K
Kevinb5688
Markcanby said:
I am referring to rivers like I posted above. I am also saying ponds do flood an carry fish into river systems. And yes I am pooling carp an bass together. Because they are both nonnative species that harm our native fish stocks an that is the only thing that matters when it comes to both these fish.

The columbia river and willamate both have bass and a good population of trout. In the north east they have bass, pike, muskie, walleye, and big cats in there rivers and lakes. Thats a lot more teeth and trout eating capibilites than here in oregon and guess what' they dont club bass or any other predatory fish.
I steelhead and salmon fish too, and i have never cared that bass are in there eating a few smolts. Im sure seagulls eat more smolts than a bass ever will.
( and colby dont be worried about a trout fisherman clubing bass, all he can do is catch stocked trout on powerbait, i dont think he is skilled enough to catch a bass;)

H
Hawk
Over several lustrum we've CPR many Striped Bass & Channel Cat out of the California Aquaduct, Delta/Mendota canal, & San Luis Res Forebay, & boonie camp in our ol motorhome.
Sometimes we keep some about 12" to fillet & deepfry. Make some fried taters & onions, homemade coleslaw, cornbread, cold beer, tartar sauce....YUM :lol::lol::lol::

Reactions: Markcanby
brandon4455
brandon4455
Hawk said:
Over several lustrum we've CPR many Striped Bass & Channel Cat out of the California Aquaduct, Delta/Mendota canal, & San Luis Res Forebay, & boonie camp in our ol motorhome.
Sometimes we keep some about 12" to fillet & deepfry. Make some fried taters & onions, homemade coleslaw, cornbread, cold beer, tartar sauce....YUM :lol::lol::lol::

made me hungry :lol:

O
OnTheFly
Kevinb5688 said:
( and colby dont be worried about a trout fisherman clubing bass, all he can do is catch stocked trout on powerbait, i dont think he is skilled enough to catch a bass;)
Are you serious?

M
Markcanby
Kevinb5688 said:
The columbia river and willamate both have bass and a good population of trout. In the north east they have bass, pike, muskie, walleye, and big cats in there rivers and lakes. Thats a lot more teeth and trout eating capibilites than here in oregon and guess what' they dont club bass or any other predatory fish.
I steelhead and salmon fish too, and i have never cared that bass are in there eating a few smolts. Im sure seagulls eat more smolts than a bass ever will.

I accepte your Challange Kevin!!!!!!

Hey Jim 100$ says I can hit 500 dead bass by the end of July.:clap::clap:

T
Throbbit _Shane
You better check your regulations before you start killen bass. Is there a place where you can keep more then 5 bass a day?

M
Markcanby
Throbbit _Shane said:
You better check your regulations before you start killen bass. Is there a place where you can keep more then 5 bass a day?

There are dont worry. Unless you love bass cause well "Time to Die".:lol::lol:

T
Throbbit _Shane
Oh yes im worried over a person from the internet... :D

I just didn't want u getting a ticket.

F
Finneus Polebender
Markcanby said:

Better get busy they are gonna release a bunch more into the willy here soon just like they did from delta last year ,You can thank the envioronmental groups and the brain trust at ODFW for allowing the Willy to be turned into the next Trophy bass waters:clap::clap::clap::lol::lol:

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:

No thanks. I can't bet against a guy who grew up in bass country and has already single handedly put a dent in their population.