J
john montana
Got out today...saw lots of these:

68afb4fe.jpg

Which led to lots of these:

6bfd3bce.jpg

Which meant I saw a lot of this:

16ff8781.jpg

It really was a nice day. The fish are looking for warmth, so once I found some shallow, soft bottomed warm bays I found the fish. Landed between 15-20 carp, with the biggest being 16 lbs but I had two crushing near misses. I flat out didn't get the eat on a monster common, and lost a massive mirror when I tried to beach the fish. That mirror will haunt me! This has been a rough spring, it was nice to get some fish today!
1ef2af2e.jpg

Reactions: FlyBum
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
Nice job. For a minute I thought you got tired of carp and started to target cars. Nice mirror.

F
FlyBum
Just saw "Trout TV" earlier today and they were catching Cars on top water on the Missouri in MT. It looked like a lot of fun catching Cars on the top. Wondering if they behave that way here too, if you've been able to get any Cars on top.

Hey if I was to convince RA that we "absolutely had to" go chase some cars, what would be the best time of year to head up there??? I'm guessing your are in some Columbia warm water "flats" and sloughs around there??

:D

S
steelhead_slayer
what a fun looking species. 16lbs that is awesome

J
john montana
It is easiest to fish for them in the summer...high sun, lower water means you can see the fish. I don't see them feeding on Top often (us carper call that "clooping"). Sometimes out on sauvie island they eat the cotton wood seeds, but I haven't seen that often.

F
FlyBum
Cool, well maybe we can work something out! I'll be leaving for Montana in July for two weeks and burning-up most of my vacation time, but maybe August when the trout fishing is slow :)

J
john montana
I just realized how bad my spelling is. whoops.

T
the_intimidator03
LOL now the hint is picked up. Glad you can pick up on carp takes quicker

V
Van
Nice post John. Well done, but that isn't a surprise.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I saw that Trout TV episode also - that looks like a real kick - dry fly carping! They were using foam hoppers on 3X tippet getting lots of 7 lb fish within inches of the shore. Had to stop myself from tying up a bunch of #6 hoppers after that.

Do they still hold the Big Lips Invitational carp tourney in MT?

V
Van
That looks like it would be a blast.

J
john montana
Should be a fun event.