Cannon Beach surf perch 4/15/16

M
mustardthetrout
Headed out last sunday to Cannon Beach to see if the surfperch would be biting. It was my first time out since last December, so I wasn't sure how things would be compared to last winter. I headed out at the start of the incoming tide at around 4:15 in the afternoon. I fished for about 45 minutes in my usual spots without even a strike and was about ready to give up. However, I worked my way down the beach a little and was able to find some fish. The average size was better than usual; I didn't catch very many hand-sized dinks like I usually do. Most of the fish were in the 1/2 lb to 1lb range and above. I managed about a dozen fish and kept three of the larger ones.

15.jpg

29.jpg

27.jpg

35.jpg

PK Yi
PK Yi
12 fish in 45 minutes is a good trip. nice job. hoping to head out this week, hoping the wind stays calm.

G
Gulfstream
Nice! Hope they come back on the bite down here!

C_Run
C_Run
Nice job, MTT.

B
bubbarockies
mustardthetrout said:
Headed out last sunday to Cannon Beach to see if the surfperch would be biting. It was my first time out since last December, so I wasn't sure how things would be compared to last winter. I headed out at the start of the incoming tide at around 4:15 in the afternoon. I fished for about 45 minutes in my usual spots without even a strike and was about ready to give up. However, I worked my way down the beach a little and was able to find some fish. The average size was better than usual; I didn't catch very many hand-sized dinks like I usually do. Most of the fish were in the 1/2 lb to 1lb range and above. I managed about a dozen fish and kept three of the larger ones.
What rig do you use if you don't mind my asking?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

M
mustardthetrout
bubbarockies said:
What rig do you use if you don't mind my asking?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I usually use a carolina rig with Gulp! sandworms in camo and natural color. 2-3 oz sliding sinker, swivel, and 1.5-2 feet of 15 lb leader leading to a no. 6 baitholder hook.

bass
bass
Good job! Was there any discernible difference (that you could see or feel) between the slow spot and the hot spot?

M
mustardthetrout
bass said:
Good job! Was there any discernible difference (that you could see or feel) between the slow spot and the hot spot?

Not really. In fact the slow spot looked better and had always produced in the past. I think it was just about finding them.