Learn to fish for surf perch workshops

troutdude
troutdude
From the Oregon surf perch Facebook page (with permission ):

1/18-2023

"Hello Oregon Surfperch Members!

We spent last weekend meeting with Amanda and Jason the fishing team for ODFW. We are interested in partnering with ODFW Angler Education to host one day learn-to-fish for surfperch workshops. In order for us to make that happen we need passionate anglers like you to work with us and share your knowledge and love for surfperch fishing with new surfperch anglers across the state. If you think this may be you, or you’re interested in potentially volunteering, please email ODFW Angler Education Coordinator Amanda.m.boyles@odfw.oregon.gov.

After we get a list of names, in the next few weeks Amanda and I will reach out to everyone on the list--and we’ll talk about our idea for a partnership and how to get some events running. Thank you all and happy fishing!”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: plumbertom
Casting Call
Casting Call
troutdude said:
From the Oregon surf perch Facebook page (with permission ):

1/18-2023

"Hello Oregon Surfperch Members!

We spent last weekend meeting with Amanda and Jason the fishing team for ODFW. We are interested in partnering with ODFW Angler Education to host one day learn-to-fish for surfperch workshops. In order for us to make that happen we need passionate anglers like you to work with us and share your knowledge and love for surfperch fishing with new surfperch anglers across the state. If you think this may be you, or you’re interested in potentially volunteering, please email ODFW Angler Education Coordinator Amanda.m.boyles@odfw.oregon.gov.

After we get a list of names, in the next few weeks Amanda and I will reach out to everyone on the list--and we’ll talk about our idea for a partnership and how to get some events running. Thank you all and happy fishing!”
not responding to amanda.a.m.boyles on g.mail.com?

troutdude
troutdude
Casting Call said:
not responding to amanda.a.m.boyles on g.mail.com?
Huh?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Can't get to Amanda via g.mail.com

troutdude
troutdude
Casting Call said:
Can't get to Amanda via g.mail.com
That's because it isn't her address. See above buddy.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I hope the dates and times get posted here with enough lead to plan to attend any workshops.
It would also be a good thing to include a list of suggested gear and tackle for beginners.
When I first started fishing the surf, on SoCal beaches, I attended a couple of instruction classes that were put on by a surf fishing forum group.
Even though I had what I thought was a good idea of what to do, having been a lifelong fisherman, the information given out was a real boon and helped me change a number of misconceptions I had about surf perch, corbina, and even halibut in the surf.

Reactions: troutdude and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Jay got hold of ODFW. All is good with times, dates and locations. Tony

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
@Casting Call @plumbertom I just sent an email message to Amanda at ODFW. If she sends me more information—I’ll be sure to share it on here.

Tight lines my friends,

TD

Reactions: plumbertom
troutdude
troutdude
UPDATE: Got a reply, first thing this morning, from Amanda @ ODFW. Here is the bulk of her reply.

"Our main goal is giving people the tools and knowledge to go fishing. The way we do that is by coordinating passionate and knowledgeable people like you with new anglers in hands-on, educational workshops. We met with Marie [from Facebook Perch Fishing in Oregon page] last week to discuss a new partnership with your group to teach anglers all about surfperch fishing.

I’m going to lay out the volunteering and event/workshop process for you that Marie and I talked about:
  1. First, we need to know where you guys are located so we can start planning events, so if you could please respond to this email with your city of residence that would be a helpful first step to us. Also please tell us if there are any particular beaches you would prefer to host an event at.
  2. If you are interested in teaching at one of our workshops, please go here to begin the volunteer process (if you have not already done so): https://odfwvolunteer.wufoo.com/forms/s1skljqx18tu6id/
    1. This is a state-mandated process that includes a background check.
    2. This clears you to teach programs on behalf of Angler Education and also allows you to teach minors.
    3. After we get through this, and before hosting our first workshop, I will host a training either online or in person for the group so that we’re all on the same page with how to host events together.
    4. If any of you are uncomfortable with this process please let me know.
  3. Once we get an idea where to host our first workshop, we will be in touch with you all."
FYI I did reply to Amanda's message...and asked her to send me more details as they develop (Where events will be held, Dates & Times, Cost, etc.). I will share those details as they emerge and become available.

Reactions: Casting Call and plumbertom