Calapooia river

L
lilsalmon
JeannaJigs said:
Sorry to bail on you last minute last night like that, but I was puking my brains out. No really, I ate spaghetti and it looked like brains. I felt like death until I finally crawled out of bed around 1:30 or 2:00 this afternoon. I have smoked salmon for you, to make amends lol. Glad you got out and visited some new water. Sorry there's no salmon inked on your tag :( I'll make it up to you!

No problem....shirt happens. I just needed to get away from the house for awhile.....one day I will have ink on my tag and I can't wait to try your smoked salmon.

L
lilsalmon
TTFishon said:
I don't know why but rubber worms are considered bait.

You beat me to it TT.....I don't know why they are considered bait but the "powers that be" think that they are....

troutdude
troutdude
Quite right. If the reg's state "artificial flies and lures only", that only means that you can use tied flies, spinners, spoons, plugs like rapala's, etc. Power Worms, grubs, eggs, etc. are all bait.

BUT...I just read the reg book. And, I do NOT see any "special regs" for the Calapooia. Where did you guys find out that bait is not allowed?

M
mahmichael
That's the point TD, there is no special regs for Calapooia so the zone regs applies. And that says only artificial flies and lures only!! Is that right?

troutdude
troutdude
Whoops. You are correct bro; I missed that under the zone reg's. Guess I don't fish many streams around here...LOL.

M
mahmichael
So I went there today for an hour and got several little fishes :D. I put two here, just tell me what are the species!? Bass?! I'm sure they are not crappies or perches! :rolleyes:
I caught them on a brown rooster tail and a small rapala.
I went to highway 34 (from Corvallis) and right after the bridge. There were only two spots that you could access the creek (right under the bridge), nowhere else! even with waders. Do you guys fish at the exact same spot or you can access the river from somewhere else? (I mean around highway 34).

07172011174.jpg07172011172.jpg07172011176.jpg

L
lilsalmon
I have never fished Calapooia around hwy 34. I have never caught a bass either but I am going to be brave and say that is a widdle bass......if I am wrong be nice.

T
TTFishon
Yep, them be smallmouth bass.

troutdude
troutdude
X 3. Smallies.

troutdude
troutdude
Micheal, I'd suggest sending a PM to OFFer Michigan Transplant. I'm pretty sure that he fished a good stretch of the Hwy. 34 area last year...or maybe it was earlier this year?

M
mahmichael
Thank you guys,
Troutdude thanks for that, I'll contact him.

C
Combat Chuck
Montieth park has the best access for bass fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
mahmichael said:
Thank you guys,
Troutdude thanks for that, I'll contact him.

My pleasure. Hope you find some good spots.