Calapooia river

L
lilsalmon
My plans got changed and its too late....I got the fever. Was thinking of finally trying the Calapooia for a couple hours in the morning. I really want to avoid Monteith and Bryant Park for obvious reasons. I was thinking the upper. I read old posts but didn't really get any good ideas. Any suggestions or PM's would be greatly appreciated.

troutdude
troutdude
Go way up high. Go through Brownsville and then through Crawfordsville. You'll then come to a little hole in the wall store (I think it's a small town called Holly or Hollie). Turn right at the road by the store, and do NOT go over the bridge on the Hwy. Go up that road until you find some pockets to fish. Good luck.

P.S. Guess you didn't see my post on the Metolious thread, about tomorrow.

R
rainbowfisherman
I know you said you want to stay away from Monteith, but last summer I fished it around this time of year and caught a nice cutty and countless Smallmouth. On the other side of all of that deadwater under the dock, there is a little ( and I mean little, like 2-3 feet wide) peninsula. I stood there and casted just outside of a little seem, as soon as my presentation got into the seem...WHACK. Time after time. My fishing buddie went there last week and the river was still too high. Maybe it has dropped a little. Just an option. Tight Lines.

-Rainbowfisherman

Reactions: bigsteel and lilsalmon
troutdude
troutdude
Hey, that's a really good idea! I've been watching as I cross those bridges daily. The water level is now down, and I've been thinking of hitting that little peninsula, which is now able to be walked out on.

A couple of years ago, I fed a TON of fish with bread crumbs from High up on the walking platform. I couldn't figure out what kind of fish they were. But, they could be smallies. It's worth a try.

L
lilsalmon
troutdude said:

I seen it but didn't want to hijack......hehe. I wish I could go but got company coming also so haveto stick around here. Besides...they are the ones that have to keep me in line.:D

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
rainbowfisherman said:
I know you said you want to stay away from Monteith, but last summer I fished it around this time of year and caught a nice cutty and countless Smallmouth. On the other side of all of that deadwater under the dock, there is a little ( and I mean little, like 2-3 feet wide) peninsula. I stood there and casted just outside of a little seem, as soon as my presentation got into the seem...WHACK. Time after time. My fishing buddie went there last week and the river was still too high. Maybe it has dropped a little. Just an option. Tight Lines.

-Rainbowfisherman

I want to go there but I want to go really early and I hate to say it but some of the people that hang out there are kind of sketchy. Thanks for your help...if I have someone with me I will check it out. Not sayin I can't take care of myself and defend myself, but at this point in my life I am worried for them...:mad:

R
rainbowfisherman
I totally agree, that place is deffinitly a little sketch. Good luck wherever you go.

L
lilsalmon
thanks....will let you know how I do

C
Combat Chuck
troutdude said:
Go way up high. Go through Brownsville and then through Crawfordsville. You'll then come to a little hole in the wall store (I think it's a small town called Holly or Hollie). Turn right at the road by the store, and do NOT go over the bridge on the Hwy. Go up that road until you find some pockets to fish.

Ya THAT! That is my get away, no people... just fish. And there are rewards for beating brush.

001.jpg008.jpg007.jpg

B
BankWalker
troutdude said:
Go way up high. Go through Brownsville and then through Crawfordsville. You'll then come to a little hole in the wall store (I think it's a small town called Holly or Hollie). Turn right at the road by the store, and do NOT go over the bridge on the Hwy. Go up that road until you find some pockets to fish. Good luck.

I used to go up there all the time as a kid fishing with my dad when we lived in crawfordsville.He used to make me climb into some pretty scary spots but now days I'M glad he did because we saw some awesome fish and intresting places. There are nice holes for catch and release and to soak your feet on a hot day up there. There used to be a big paul bunyon statue in the parking lot of the mini mart don't know if there still is. It's been like three years since we made the trip down going to have to visit the relatives and go fishing.Thanks for bringing back a lot of good memories and sorry for rambling in your thread. Hope you go and catch lots of fish:D

Reactions: bigsteel
L
lilsalmon
Bankwalker....there IS still a statue of Paul Bunyon but it is up closer to the little market. I got there about 8ish this morning. I hit 4 or 5 places. No fish but there should have been. I stopped first at a park, I think it was Kercher or McKercher...don't laugh at my memory it has been a few hours...:D Climbed down the rocks. Nice water but only had little 4-5 inchers chasing my fly. Tried to go deeper with some nymphs but that wasn't successful either. Tried a few more spots, seen some I want to go back and try and had a great day. Oh, I also stopped at Pioneer Park in Brownsville. There was a nice little strip of water there down a ways but still no luck. Was nice to get out of the house and enjoy the weather and some water. I carried a lot of garbage out at both parks......I really dislike people that feel they can leave their trash behind. The only thing it accomplishes is closing of the parks. That is why Weyerhauser closed the gate, I do believe. Anywho, it was fun.

Reactions: mahmichael and BankWalker
E
eggs
Nice looking creek!

B
BankWalker
After dealing with how busy places get in the summer small streams and high mountain lakes are the way to go, glad to see you got out there. The garbage issue is insane, no one teaches people you don't mess where you eat these days or what? I was fishing at a park on the clackamas recently and every 15 minutes or so the same kind of cigarette would float by I assume from someone flicking them in. I wouldn't want to eat the fish with that in it's stomach. Good job on getting some of that crap out of there.

troutdude
troutdude
Glad to see that you had a good day Rose. I used to go swimming at McKercher Park a lot back in the 80's. Too bad that you couldn't go on up into the Weyerhauser land. I had friends that used to do really well up there.

J
JeannaJigs
Sorry to bail on you last minute last night like that, but I was puking my brains out. No really, I ate spaghetti and it looked like brains. I felt like death until I finally crawled out of bed around 1:30 or 2:00 this afternoon. I have smoked salmon for you, to make amends lol. Glad you got out and visited some new water. Sorry there's no salmon inked on your tag :( I'll make it up to you!

M
mahmichael
Thanks for the info lilsalmon, Can I ask what fly you were using? And is using baits allowed in Calapooia?!

troutdude
troutdude
Michael,

You can look up the bait regulations (and the whole Oregon reg book) on the ODFW website.

C
Combat Chuck
mahmichael said:
Thanks for the info lilsalmon, Can I ask what fly you were using? And is using baits allowed in Calapooia?!

No bait in the Calapooia.

M
mahmichael
How about rubber worms? I have read that some people used them there!!
Thanks

T
TTFishon
mahmichael said:
How about rubber worms? I have read that some people used them there!!
Thanks

I don't know why but rubber worms are considered bait.