Broke down and bought a switch rod.

V
Van
After finally reaching a frustration point to send me into River City, i came out with a switch rod. As we all know, the river banks in our region are usually thick with brush right to the waters edge. I finally got to a point of wanting a new method to cover water and stay out of the bushes behind me.

It isn't a very fancy rod. Some small custom made brand from the east coast. I am only into the whole set up $300 for rod and reel. Don as usual gave me great service and a great price. The rod is a "Heritage Switch Rod". A 10'6" 3pc 7/8/9(lol) wt.

switchrod_zps7d7efae3.png

It should work until i figure out if it is something i want to keep up with. I didn't come to this easy actually. The main thing that drew me to fly fishing was the beauty of the single handed cast. Granted, spey casts have a beauty of their own but i will always be a single hand caster at heart i think.

Now, i just need to figure out how to use the damn thing. Lessons from a casting instructor are out of the question for the time being. Been watching YouTube vids but frankly most are not shot in a way that shows the rod and line very well. Anyone have any suggestions on books or better vids i can check out?

F
FlyBum
Skagit Master and YouTube.

jamisonace
jamisonace
What is the difference between a Spey rod and a switch rod?

V
Van
jamisonace said:
What is the difference between a Spey rod and a switch rod?

A Spey is longer. 12'6" up to 15' or so. A switch is 10'6" to 11' or so. A switch rod can be cast one hand without much trouble as well. So, it bridges the gap between the two styles.

H
hcole
Are you nymphing or swinging (or both)? Here are some youtube clips that I've found helpful in getting me started spey casting. One of the pieces of advice I got that really helped was too be sure and let your bottom hand generate a lot of the power. I find that when I'm doing it right it's not a lot of work.

Snap T
Another Snap T demo
Double Spey
Snap T/Double Spey with off hand
Perry Poke

V
Van
Thnx for the info guys.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I think you'll like the spey style casting. It's a style that you can tranfer to just about any rod you have. My spey rod is 13', much to large for small stream fishing. In December I fished the Klaskanine River a very small costal stream. The portion I fished had pleanty of overhanging trees and brush. I was usuing a single handed trout rod and a lot of snap t cast. That kept my fly in the water and out of the trees. Enjoy your new adventure.