Best rivers for spring chinook

C
CJ3434
I tried doing research for this but nothing came up.... so what rivers around the sheridan area are best for springers?? I'm more than willingly to drive an hour in any direction but not too much more. How's the siletz? The nestucca? The wilson? I have already tried the salmon, the three rivers (no luck) and I'm going to try the north fork santiam river tomorrow around jefferson (read some good stuff about that area). I'm going to try bobber and eggs and drifting with yarns and corkies. I thrive on constructive criticism and suggestions.... plz help a newb fisherman

S
SantiamDrifter
Trask, Nestucca, South Santiam.

R
RunWithSasquatch
N.Santiam:)

B
BlackBass
Time spent on the water will dictate at what speed you figure it all out. Best rivers for spring Chinook are Kalapuya , toutle, johson creek, Marys river , and the longtomm. Remember fishermen always tell the truth.
Pm me if you want some good tips.

F
FishNinja
CJ3434 said:
I tried doing research for this but nothing came up.... so what rivers around the sheridan area are best for springers?? I'm more than willingly to drive an hour in any direction but not too much more. How's the siletz? The nestucca? The wilson? I have already tried the salmon, the three rivers (no luck) and I'm going to try the north fork santiam river tomorrow around jefferson (read some good stuff about that area). I'm going to try bobber and eggs and drifting with yarns and corkies. I thrive on constructive criticism and suggestions.... plz help a newb fisherman

Hold on turbo, you're gonna have to wait for the springers to show up before you can catch them. It's really way too early on all the rivers you mentioned.

R
rippin fish lips
CJ3434 said:

SantiamDrifter and RunWithSasquatch know whats up and have pointed you in a good direction. Write those rivers down in your head, and don't forget about them!

S
SantiamDrifter
RunWithSasquatch said:
N.Santiam:)

In all honesty, I wouldnt fish the N.Santiam trying to catch your first Steelhead/Springer if you dont know what your doing. I firmly believe its the hardest river I've fished, to get into fish. There just isn't a lot of fish, and they are very stubborn biters. I can't tell you how many people I've heard of give up fishing becuase they tried to learn on the North.

That being said, I stick to my top 3. Trask, Nestucca and S.Santiam. The S.Santiam will have the biggest return, but also the most people..... But that may help you, just go and watch what everyone else is doing. Ask Q's, and learn from the locals.

J
JeannaJigs
SantiamDrifter said:
The S.Santiam will have the biggest return, but also the most people..... But that may help you, just go and watch what everyone else is doing. Ask Q's, and learn from the locals.

The locals may lead you astray with 10 foot leaders...but the locals serve as fish finders.

C
CJ3434
SantiamDrifter said:
In all honesty, I wouldnt fish the N.Santiam trying to catch your first Steelhead/Springer if you dont know what your doing. I firmly believe its the hardest river I've fished, to get into fish. There just isn't a lot of fish, and they are very stubborn biters. I can't tell you how many people I've heard of give up fishing becuase they tried to learn on the North.

That being said, I stick to my top 3. Trask, Nestucca and S.Santiam. The S.Santiam will have the biggest return, but also the most people..... But that may help you, just go and watch what everyone else is doing. Ask Q's, and learn from the locals.

Thank you so much for input... I had the most irratating time fish the north. I fished it for a few hours and nothing . This dude joins me and literally on his second cast he got a fin clipped steelie. He was using a pink and white jig and bobber

But the guy gave great advice... he taught me some stuff on jigs and drifting and spinners I look forward to trying... any part of the nestucca I should try?

S
SantiamDrifter
CJ3434 said:

Thank you so much for input... I had the most irratating time fish the north. I fished it for a few hours and nothing . This dude joins me and literally on his second cast he got a fin clipped steelie. He was using a pink and white jig and bobber

But the guy gave great advice... he taught me some stuff on jigs and drifting and spinners I look forward to trying... any part of the nestucca I should try?

Any part of 3rivers, and the mouth where it dumps into the Nestucca. You wont be alone though.

H
halibuthitman
the forks of the trask down to the bottom end of lorens drift is possibly some of the easiest sections of a river to fish for a new guy using bobbers, spinners like no.5 and 6 blue foxes slid through the slots kill too, - good luck

R
rum runner
The locals may lead you astray with 10 foot leaders...but the locals serve as fish finders.

hahah i was about to say the exact same thing! and if there doing that do the opposite.... bobber and egg,sand shrimp,jig with prawn meet... ping pong ball size blob of eggs and drift it off the bottom with just enough weight to keep it down but still move frrely in the holes and tail outs of them or the slots in the river where the water isn't rippn through and that fish will be holding in... nothn like a good bait bite take down!

Last edited: