Best area for sturgeon this weekend?

Mike123
Could someone help me out on some sturgeon info?
Willamette or Columbia?

Thanks :)
 
Herefishyfishy
I have heard the bite has slowed way down on the columbia because of colder water temps. I'm heading to Meldrum bar in Gladstone as soon as I can get outta the office today, I'll give a report tomorrow.
 
Fishtopher
I'd hit the Willy, Mike. Temp is warmer, a lot (not all granted) of the fish move to the Willy outta the C this time of year. And the ones that dont, are a bit more lethargic from the cold(er) water.

Dont get me wrong, if I didn't have a choice, Id still fish either and be happy as all get out. And still expect to catch fish.:lol:
 
Mike123
Cool thanks guys!

Yea, were trying to decide on where to go.. I'm new to sturgeon. I know the basics but I don't know areas that well.

What oz.'s of lead are you guys using on avg...?

We're getting squid and smelt, any other bait?
 
halibuthitman
Mike123 said:
Cool thanks guys!

Yea, were trying to decide on where to go.. I'm new to sturgeon. I know the basics but I don't know areas that well.

What oz.'s of lead are you guys using on avg...?

We're getting squid and smelt, any other bait?

are you bank fishing?
 
Mike123
halibuthitman
oh, good! i was just gonna offer you a seat up here on the channel, but sounds like you got it covered.... I never catch anything anyway.:D
 
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
oh, good! i was just gonna offer you a seat up here on the channel, but sounds like you got it covered.... I never catch anything anyway.:D

Whoa whoa hold on! It's my buddies boat! I still take up offers on open seats!
:D:dance:
What day you going? I'm sure you catch fish... haha
 
halibuthitman
tommorrow, and mabe saturday.
 
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
tommorrow, and mabe saturday.

If my check comes tomorrow I would love to go Saturday. Have to wait and see. I know I'll have it next week. If it's cool with you maybe I could go along with you sometime in the future and learn the ropes of sturgeon fishing so I can teach my buddy how to do it. Next weekend I'll definitely have my money. :dance:
 
halibuthitman
the offer is always good- my boat is only 16'..... but that makes it a whole lot easier when your trying to catch a fish as big as your boat! keep me posted:cool:
 
Mike123
halibuthitman said:
the offer is always good- my boat is only 16'..... but that makes it a whole lot easier when your trying to catch a fish as big as your boat! keep me posted:cool:

Cool thanks Hali! :) Will do!
 
Herefishyfishy
Hit the willi from the bank at Meldrum yesterday. The water was high and fast, didn't have enough weight to keep it on the bottom. I have to get my boat together! There must have been 100 people down there fishing for steelies!
 
Mike123
Herefishyfishy said:
Hit the willi from the bank at Meldrum yesterday. The water was high and fast, didn't have enough weight to keep it on the bottom. I have to get my boat together! There must have been 100 people down there fishing for steelies!

Anyone pull any fish in?
 
Herefishyfishy
I heard there was one pulled in early morning, not much of a success rate for so many poles. I also heard 5 were caught wed and ten on tues.
 
Mike123
Herefishyfishy said:
I heard there was one pulled in early morning, not much of a success rate for so many poles. I also heard 5 were caught wed and ten on tues.

Thanks for the report.. Not great for 200 rods huh? :shock:
 
Herefishyfishy
I don't know for sure how many rods but I will say it was a fricken wall of them! I can handle plunkin for sturgeon but I don't know how these guys sit there all day for steelhead. I'm workin on getting my boat ready, I need new seats and a prop, I've had the boat for 21 years now! We'll have to hit it when I get it goin, it's a 16' too.
 
Mike123
Herefishyfishy said:
I don't know for sure how many rods but I will say it was a fricken wall of them! I can handle plunkin for sturgeon but I don't know how these guys sit there all day for steelhead. I'm workin on getting my boat ready, I need new seats and a prop, I've had the boat for 21 years now! We'll have to hit it when I get it goin, it's a 16' too.

NOICE! I'm down! :D
 
John B
Because I have my boat tore apart putting new seats and equipment in, I wont be able to go for about another week. But if it were me I think I would concentrate on the St. Johns area under the bridge. Waters high so use extra caution and take extra lead. 10 to 12 ounces maybe more depending on where your fishing. Let us all know how you do.
 
billfish
John B said:
Because I have my boat tore apart putting new seats and equipment in, I wont be able to go for about another week. But if it were me I think I would concentrate on the St. Johns area under the bridge. Waters high so use extra caution and take extra lead. 10 to 12 ounces maybe more depending on where your fishing. Let us all know how you do.

if i was to fish st johns bridge witch boat ramp would i put in at? hopefully im going to the willy this week new to the sturgeon on the willy . i live in florence fish the slaw . the river is really high right now . not mutch going on here now . thanks for all the info guy . i will be there for you when the slaw picks up to return the favor . thanks again..
 
Top Bottom