Bass fishing at Common Wealth

L
Lonnielove32
Anybody got any bass stories fishing common wealth?

B
Big3d
If they do, they're probably super old stories. Good luck.

B
Billamicasr
I've not visited the park. In fact, I didn't know it existed; I had to Google it to find out more. I think the biggest thing I learned is the park is not a regional but a local attraction. Meaning it is used heavily by the folks who live close by.

Also found this quote in the Oregonian (not sure of the date): "Commonwealth Lake is stocked each spring with rainbow trout and with warm-water fish (bass, bluegill and crappie) in the summer. Fishing is winding down this year due to the weather, but improved water quality from the drainage enhancements should help more fish survive the winter and be ready to bite a hook next spring."

Not sure if you can launch a floating device, i.e. float tube, pontoon or kayak in the lake. If it is okay, that would be the way to Bass fish a little lake like this.

Do a Google search and you may get the information you are looking for; good luck in your searching.

bass
bass
Ten years or so ago there used to be a ton of bass in Commonwealth. I never caught any big ones but it was easy to catch a lot. Then some river otters moved into the lake. They really decimated the population. I finally quit fishing the lake. Perhaps the otters are gone and the lake is loaded again.

Best of luck.

D
DrTheopolis
Haven't fished Commonwealth in many, many years. I grew up in one of the houses backing up to the park. Back when, they didn't stock it with trout, or anything else. There was illegal plantings of all kinds of stuff. We used to catch carp by the dozens, and when the crappie came into the rocky edges to spawn, we'd catch literally hundreds in a couple of hours -- a few big ones. And an occasional bullhead cat, sometimes large. And as kids, we always figured it was some massive bullhead we'd be hooking when we dunked a worm in the deepest part of the lake, which we never saw, and took full spools of line -- we figured it was bullheads, until we saw someone catch a sturgeon (using much heavier gear than we ever did).

I think the "restoration" (it was a swamp 50-60 years ago, some developer dug out the lake to OFFer "lakefront" houses, which used to flood like crazy... not sure what they're "restoring" it to) messed it up. But if I still lived there, I'm sure I'd be fishing it often.

Commonwealth was where I learned to fish, and learned to love fishing.

B
BamaDan
I stopped by out there a couple days ago since my girlfriend had a meeting nearby, and I figured I could catch a couple trout while she worked. If you're wanting to go soon, bear in mind it's a little muddy now following the rain, and if you're thinking about putting in some kind of boat (if it's even allowed) you had better be prepared to get bombarded with powerbait until trout stocking winds up. It's also a little on the small side and doesn't appear to have the amount of structure to support a many quality fish, but that sometimes doesn't matter.

D
Denneroll
Lots and lots of new moms with strollers, plenty of ducks, a few cranky domestic geese and sometimes an Osprey picking out trout. Often a kid or two with a mom or dad that can use a little help with fishing tactics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk