Banking with side planers?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Anyone ever try it out here? I've done it at big tailwaters down south to get livebaits out to stripers and catfish, but was thinking it might work on parts of a tidal exchange to let bank anglers, say, use herring or Kwikfish from shore.

The mechanics are a bit tricky, but then again, plunking looks complicated too to someone who has never done it.

SS

S
sapo
i have a friend who does it..

B
Big3d
Yeah sorry I didn't post words, I am at work and had to go earn my money, but found that to share.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I purchased one for winter steel, looking forward to trying it.

D
DirectDrive
hobster said:
Cool thanks.

A buddy of mine does it as well and has had some success. Only issue is you need lots of room on the river with no other anglers around you, which can be hard to fing sometimes around here,
Very true.
The area from you to your plug has to be void of other anglers.
Not possible to fish the Side Planer in crowded areas.

S
SmallStreams
Side planar didn't work too well for me in tidewater as the current strength was not consistent enough.

B
Big3d
That would make sense, but I wonder if the sandy on a slow day with winterish flows would be perfect for that rig.

D
DirectDrive
Big3d said:
That would make sense, but I wonder if the sandy on a slow day with winterish flows would be perfect for that rig.
That is what it was designed for...
To allow the bank angler to fish a plug as if he were in a boat.
I think that the beta testing was done on the Deschutes River.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
They work nicely from a boat as well. We used them from bank AND boat when I was little, to get shad out to striped bass along skinny water over bars and whatever without spooking them with the boat. I know a guy that trolls a LOT and he uses them with stackers like you would use on a downrigger to fish multiple rods per side and cover a L-O-T of water with one pass.