Bank fisherman makes death threats.......your thoughts?

G
gmcnair
Maybe this will provide some insight into this matter. On Wednesday, I went up the Cxxx River to the mouth of this creek. This thirty foot long narrow river bank is prime salmon fishing certain weeks in early Fall. A three hour window is when they bite and suddenly stop feeding.

Well this stocky grumbly, squatty fellow seems to be there most of the time. He goes by Bxxxx, and is supposedly a retired mill worker. On Wednesday, Bxxxx had 3 Jack Salmon on the bank, and another fellow, Mitch, had a sixteen pound king salmon. Two other fellows had fish and no one else was there. I found an open spot to fish about 5’ from Bxxxx and the next guy. Bxxxx,…………said I was rude and so on…………the other fellow, Mitch, said my spot was fine.

So on, Thrusday, I got there bright and early, and Bxxxx was already there. Later, a big king took my bobber down, and we fought around for ten minutes when the hook came out. We fished for three hours, joked, and told stories. He loaned me his knife sticking out of his bucket. During this time another fellow came and asked to fish, and we said yes. We had fun chattering.

So on Friday, I showed up at the salmon spot, and Bxxxx was there. I said good morning, and he shockingly growled something back. Later he said, you mo…fuc…..I tell where to fish here. I said, “You don’t own the bank,” and it escalated to a shouting match. He went ballistic and reached for his knife in his bucket, but it was not in his bucket. He looked for it. He then put up his fists and said let’s fight. I showed him my belted knife on my hip, told him to back off, and called the sheriff but was out of range. He then settled down, and later left. Then on the way out he said he would kill me.

This has upset me and I would like to be present when the police speak with Bxxxx so we can resolve this issue. Anything that I did wrong will be acknowledged and corrected on my part.

What's your opinion or similar stories?

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
This is exactly why I don't fish with a bunch of people....a man and his fish brings out the worst in some. Good luck with the outcome.

T
troutmasta
I combat fish a lot and unfortunately this crap happens.

Usually I would say Bxxx is full of Shxx...call the cops :pig: (they will tell you to file an online report and that they wont collect evidence) and be ready to pull a HHM and mace his a_ _. :angel:

Today though I woke up and found my truck was broken into and cleaned out.:mad-new: I have no patience for A$$ Holes right now.:mad-new:

So if it was today, :beaten: I would whip his A$$ while he was looking for his knife.:beaten: Then I would find his knife and thow it in the river while he was rolling around on the rocks :lol:. Then ___ ______ __ __ _______.:yikes:

then do it again when I heard him say he was going to kill me. Oregon is a Castle Doctrine state

Last edited:
S
steelie_killa
Its ppl like that that i always have 1 in the chamber when im Fishing.....i dont want to resort it but u pull a stupid move n im making sure ur 3 ft under. My advise is ask afirst if its ok to b next to others n walk away if u can...a lot of ppls r carrying these days...b safe guys

T
TimberTodd
Sorry to hear you found yourself in that type of situation. Like Jeff said, make a police report for sure. At least this Bozo is on file then. Who knows, he may already have marks against him. Jeff that SUCKS. I hope the dirtbag didn't get away with much. If you lost fishing gear let me know. I have may extra I could throw your way.

F
FishFinger
gmcnair thanks for your story it provokes some interesting thoughts.

Is the Cxxx river in Oregon? If so, and you have a valid ODFW fishing license: this law applies to you...

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250.
(2) Except for persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c) or 166.270, ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:
(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

If your afraid for your life, unless your predisposed to a limitations of your gun rights (i.e. convicted felon, court documented psycho, restraining order recipient, ect) you can carry a concealed firearm.

I'm not advocating that you should, rather that you have the right to under ORS statutes.

Sounds like Bxxxx is a colorful character, the world is full of them: some more stable that others. Every story had two sides, it's not fair to judge only hearing one.

If you intend to continue sharing the river bank with this fella I'd recommend you.... Kill him, with kindness!
Open carry donuts and coffee, and share them. Engage him in conversation regarding how the liberals and the federal government have destroyed the forest industry in Oregon. He may want to adopt you and share his plethora of fishing knowledge...

However if your on the liberal side of the issue and can't drift a slot between to other guys w/o fouling their gear... There's always your right to carry a firearm.

Be well and remember to smile on your brother...

T
troutmasta
FishFinger said:
However if your on the liberal side of the issue and can't drift a slot between to other guys w/o fouling their gear... There's always your right to carry a firearm.

You mean 2, or Two, or couple.?.?.?

or is the slot being drifted a gift that he is giving to them...thats probably it...we liberals get confused easy.

But are willing to share our chatch, even if we cast over you.:harhar: just poking fun.

hobster
hobster
That really sucks, I hate seeing that stuff on the bank. People are pretty crazy out there sometimes, I've seen a few near fist fights but nothing serious. I tend to find a new spot to fish, its not worth the stress to deal with that s**t. Fishing needs to be fun for me, that's why I go! Besides, I don't need fish in the freezer THAT bad. Last year at the Slaw a guide got all his tires slashed, its just not worth it. Maybe you should check out a new spot?

troutdude
troutdude
Sounds like the dude was on his meds one day; but OFF of them the next. Good grief.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Please don't go around shooting folks for harassing you about a fish! You need to understand that that kind of action carries a lifetime of regret and nightmares. If you absolutely have to fish on that particular river bank maybe you should take a couple of friends with you to cover your back. Preferably friends capable of reasoning with someone out of control like Bxxx. I had an incident at Walter Wirth a couple years ago. A man was there with his grown son and they were fishing a couple hundred yards from me and my son (6'4" 240lbs) and a good friend (6'4" 320lbs). Suddenly the dad walks between my friend and I, maybe three feet away from me, and casts out. The hook literally "zinnnnged" past my ear. I would love to say that I walked away until he finished flexing his manly muscle...but that would be a big, fat lie. Instead, I walked up to him and stood 3" from his ear and explained he was not welcome and that if he cast out again he was risking an ass stomping...not by the guys. He laughed and told me to get out of his way. My son and friend both watched with interest to see how foolish the guy really was. I stepped even closer and let him know that if just his line so much as brushed up against me I would kick his ass and then call the cops. Now, you need to know that I am 5'5" and at the time weighed around 125lbs. Well, he kept looking at me and then the guys...I didn't budge and refused to back down from a rude, arrogant jackass like him. He then informed me he was calling the cops on me because I had a fire in a fire pit. It was my turn to laugh. He finally walked about 10' away after a nervous four or five and cast out again. It didn't last long, I guess he figured he had shown me he was boss. His son caught up with him and even though I don't understand Russian I knew the old poop was in trouble. An hour later he came back over and apologized to me. Sometimes you just have to outwit, out think and out last the idiots.
Be careful out there and think seriously about the act of killing another human being over a fish.

S
steelie_killa
Even tho i carry...never once i had to use it...i normally walk away from those confrontations, not worth it to me. I only carry cuz there r sum guys that tends to push the limits. Ive seen it happen b4 through out my yrs fishing oregon n washington rivers

H
HereFishy
steelie_killa said:
Even tho i carry...never once i had to use it...i normally walk away from those confrontations, not worth it to me. I only carry cuz there r sum guys that tends to push the limits. Ive seen it happen b4 through out my yrs fishing oregon n washington rivers

I'm in the same exact boat. My S&W .45 is ALWAYS within reach. It takes quite a bit for me to pull it out. I've never had to actually point it at someone. Came close one time. Usually all it takes is for them to realize you're armed.

G
gmcnair
Fishfinger, are you saying that during hunting or fishing one can carry a concealed weapon without the concealed permit?

A weapon would never be pulled out unless my life was in immediate danger and the first shot would be a warning, and second shot in the knee. This fellow wanted to pull a filet knife on me but couldn't find it. I think this fellow is a nut case.

The county sheriff is looking for him and supplied them with his plate numbers.

J
JeannaJigs
gmcnair said:
Fishfinger, are you saying that during hunting or fishing one can carry a concealed weapon without the concealed permit?

A weapon would never be pulled out unless my life was in immediate danger and the first shot would be a warning, and second shot in the knee. This fellow wanted to pull a filet knife on me but couldn't find it. I think this fellow is a nut case.

The county sheriff is looking for him and supplied them with his plate numbers.

yes while hunting and fishing you can conceal carry without a permit. I do it everytime. I carry because I fish in cougar infested areas primarily, and I hate cats. I also fish alone in places that attract unsavory people, am i going to get butthurt and bust a cap in someone? no. If I legit feel my life is in danger and someone else makes the first move though...I have a hollow point .40 in the chamber, and a cougar tag.

P
PTownAngler
Amen to that, I always have my 9mm with one in the chamber or my .357 snubbie. Try pulling a knife on me, see what happens lol. I have my CHL tho. CHL = Concealed Handgun License, Got it when I turned 21 three years ago. Living in southeast Portland, the only time it leaves my belt is when I sleep. In that case its by my head :)

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
@gmcnair yes a hunting/fishing license is a defacto CHL permit specifically for traveling to, during, and returning home from an outing.

However, I firmly believe "situations" like you encountered can and should be settled civilly. I can't recall any case where one fisherman has shot another over a bank altercation.

One important thing to keep in mind... Simply pointing a firearm at another person is in itself a felony, loaded or not, the action alone is a criminal act and can get you into serous trouble.

Being said... I have on several ocassions carried openly, in plain view when fishing in "sketcher" areas and have never had problems with fellow anglers.

G
gmcnair
Wow, never had plans to point guns at people.

If I would have stood my ground and bit my tongue, then things may have turned out different........I don't like to run off like a dog with it's tail.... blah blah ............when people rudly talk and yell, this sets me off..............I kept saying you don't own the bank ...... are you the fish hole boss........

I have some improving to do so this won't happen again. I usually fish from a boat and troll for salmon. For now, this is my plan for next week. Anyone want to troll in the Coos Bay area?

T
troutmasta
gmcnair said:
Wow, never had plans to point guns at people.

If I would have stood my ground and bit my tongue, then things may have turned out different........I don't like to run off like a dog with it's tail.... blah blah ............when people rudly talk and yell, this sets me off..............I kept saying you don't own the bank ...... are you the fish hole boss........

I have some improving to do so this won't happen again. I usually fish from a boat and troll for salmon. For now, this is my plan for next week. Anyone want to troll in the Coos Bay area?

Nah man you did just fine.
1) He left
2) You stayed
3) No one died

Some people just prefer pi$$ in there Cheerios and assume everyone else feels the same

Me, I like milk.

If I'm in Coos Bay Ill climb aboard, However signs point to less than likely!

Come up to Cedar Creek in a week or two if you want to see the ultimate combat Sh-t Show. Ill be there w a limit :D

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Anyone who tries to pull a knife because of a fishing spot is obviously a wackjob. I'd just keep my distance from the guy and if he tries anything dangerous let your adrenaline take course and fight or flee. My Dad always said "a fair fight aint that rough" but a knife is something to be careful of but I'd just take everyone else's advise.

Admin
Admin
What about an idea to shoot a guy with a camera instead of a pistol? His picture in this thread could change his behavior. ;)