Baitcasters?

C
collegekidusa
I'm looking into buying a baitcaster for salmon and steelhead fishing. Was wondering what kind of baitcaster would be of good quality and also good to learn on? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

W
waco
Do you want one for both?

T
troutmasta
Ambassaduer 6500.

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutmasta said:
Ambassaduer 6500.

I agree. It's a good reel for both. I actually put the 5500 on all my steelhead rods but they are essentially the same. one is just a bit smaller and has a different spool release. I suggest getting the Sweden made models and not the ones made in china. I don't know if they are different but a friend told me they are different so I'll go with that.

M
mccarrel
are you looking for a full bait caster or a low profile. I've been using Abu Garcia for quite some time though I have to say Shimano makes a nice low profile reel as well?

G
grampa ron
Get a reel that has adjustable magnets. It will make your life a lot easier.

D
DYJ
Another vote for the Abu 6500 or 5500. I actually use the left handers so on my salmon rod I have a 6501 but on my two hot shot rods for steelhead I have the 5501's. These are the bait casters that I learned to cast on.

T
troutmasta
DYJ said:
Another vote for the Abu 6500 or 5500. I actually use the left handers so on my salmon rod I have a 6501 butn my two hot shot rods for steelhead I have the 5501's. These are the bait casters that I learned to cast on.
I use the 6501 as well
Ben you would use a 6500

T
troutmasta
I just bought mine last week after fishing with jamisonace. That's what he had and it worked great.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Good point. I use the 01 leftys too.

DYJ said:
Another vote for the Abu 6500 or 5500. I actually use the left handers so on my salmon rod I have a 6501 but on my two hot shot rods for steelhead I have the 5501's. These are the bait casters that I learned to cast on.

M
mosd
shinamo curado

O
OnTheDrop
Shimano Cardiff. For around 100$ you can't beat it. I have two that i've lubed up twice in the past 4 years. Work like champs still...The 6500/5500 Ambassaduers are great as well.

jamisonace
jamisonace
That's sayin something when you catch as many fish as Steelmon.

SteelmonKiller20 said:
Shimano Cardiff. For around 100$ you can't beat it. I have two that i've lubed up twice in the past 4 years. Work like champs still...The 6500/5500 Ambassaduers are great as well.

Reactions: collegekidusa
O
OnTheDrop
jamisonace said:
That's sayin something when you catch as many fish as Steelmon.

Lol. Thanks!

They really are nice reels. Granted they dont see the water everytime I go out they have held up awesome through fall nooks/springers little bit of steelhead action. Mostly plunking...
If your looking for a steelhead baitcaster the shimano cruxis is around the same price and awesome. Theres also a curado at Bi-Mart ive seen the past month going for 109.99 and at Fishermans and other stores around 160$ idk why I haven't picked it up yet...

I
imfishing
Greetings All.

I Never Get Out On Here, But This Thread I Believe I Can Weigh In On.

If Fishing Freak Is Still Here He Can Testify To This:

This Is Just My Opinion [Please Keep That In Mind].

I Have Seen Countless Fisher Peeps Go Out And Buy Those Clunky Round Reels [ABU Ambassaduers Mainly] Only To Be Disappointed With The Results.

Then They Spend All Day Lashin, And Nestin. Those Reels Take Some Practice To Get Used To.

I Feel They Are Not Designed To Be Used In Your Typical River Drift Fishing Application.

They Are Great If You Are In A Boat And Say Trolling, Pulling Plugs, Or Just On The Hook Plunking. [I Have 2 That I Use Just For That.]

They Also Perform Well In Your Typical Bank Plunking Arena When You Aren't Using More Then 8 Ounces Of Lead. As Stated, Others' Mileage May Very.

If You Are Setting Up For A Bobber Rod In The 1 To 4 Ounce Range, These Reels Excel.

If You Want To Minimize All The Casting Trials And Tribulations; Smitty Recommends Purchasing One Of Those Low Profile Casting Reels Everyone's Makin' All The Fuss About.

Smitty Uses Abu Garcia Revo SX And STX Class Reels, They Are Very Agile On The River Bank And They Are Capable Of Casting Small Amounts Of Weight Great Distances.

They Are A Dream To Operate. Of Course They Don't Work Well In Heavy Weight Scenarios, They Are Great For Bobber Rigs Up To 2 Ounces, Of Course I Believe Its More The Rod Then The Reel For The Use Area.

In Closing - If You Are Setting Up For Any And All Medium Size To Large River Drift Or Float Fishing With In Reasonable Weight Ranges Then Most Low Profile Reels Are The Best Tool For The Job.

For Me And My Use It Comes Down To Bearings. The More Ball Bearings It Has [My Revoes Have (11) 10 + 1] The Better It Is For Things That Really Matter Like Casting Light Weight A Long Distance. They All Pretty Much Have Dual Cast Control Mechanisms You Will Have To Go To Their Website To Find Which System Is Right For You.

Anyhow - I Just Thought I Would Add My Couple Pennies.

Smitty - Out

Reactions: steelhead1
C
collegekidusa
Thank you all for the responses, time to weigh my options. :D

madasahab
madasahab
I use the c3's 5501...great reel for salmon and steelhead...I just bought an abu kalex and it is very sweet...I got the 51 which is about the same size as the 5500 series...

P
plumb2fish
I have a revo Toro winch 51....great trolling,salmon Bobber reel. My 55&6501s are used as trolling, sturgeon, bobber reels. I have a couple pfleuger trions that i use for drift fishing. And i recently bought a shimano curado for drift fishing...