Bait for drift fishing

H
Hookem
i was curious as to what bait I should be using for springers and soon to be summer steelhead. Jigs/spinners/corkies/shrimp what works best? thanks.

S
Steelheader4Life
Eggs, sand shrimp, tuna bellies, tuna balls, sardine/herring chunks are all good bait for springers. Jigs, spinners, corkies, yarnies, etc. are not considered bait (to me anyways). I think tuna works best for springers but they like them all. Small chunks of eggs, sand shrimp, and crawdad tails are my favorites for summers.

O
Outdoorsman5
where do you get tuna bellies?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Outdoorsman5 said:
You cut them off the tuna you catch.
I would recomend that you find a fish market, and buy fresh Bonito.
They are a small member of the same family as tuna.
They are usually very cheap.
It's important to keep Bonito well cooled.
It breaks down and turns mushy when allowed to warm, so keep it on ice.

O
Outdoorsman5
ooooh i see. alright thanks.:stupid:

S
Steelheader4Life
Outdoorsman5 said:

Some bait shops carry them. I know that Stickrod in Otis usually has some. I'm lucky enough to have a father in law that goes out for tuna and he gives me all of them. He even lets me go out and catch a few :)

S
Steelheader4Life
Tuna balls work just as good in my opinion. Buy a can of tuna canned in the tuna oil (not water) and some spawn sack or pantyhose. Cut out a square chunk of the spawn sack or pantyhose and fill with the tuna, wrap the top with some king of stretch string and boom, wait where's my bobber?! ;)

S
SteelieRn
Hoggsjomar tackle shop in Hillsboro carries tuna bellies

J
Jordy
SteelieRn said:
Hoggsjomar tackle shop in Hillsboro carries tuna bellies
And they aren't very good. Tuna needs to be processed with the utmost detail. I have bought their tuna twice because I ran out of my own and in both circumstances it was not fishable.

As mentioned above, tuna needs to be on ice at all times. One trip to 50 or 60 degrees and its toast (for human consumption or bait).

Give hardware a shot. Once you get the hang of it it is just as productive and cheaper (once you start to snag up less). Then use harvested eggs for your bait. With our low flows and warm water the bite is going to be more aggression based. The hardware fisherman are already outfishing the bait guys by a wide margin in the metro streams.

C
coyo7e
Steelheader4Life said:
Eggs, sand shrimp, tuna bellies, tuna balls, sardine/herring chunks are all good bait for springers. Jigs, spinners, corkies, yarnies, etc. are not considered bait (to me anyways). I think tuna works best for springers but they like them all. Small chunks of eggs, sand shrimp, and crawdad tails are my favorites for summers.
While jigs are not bait, plastic jigs are considered bait, since any plastic worms power eggs etc are considered bait.

My question is, would applying scent to a feathered jig or a yarn ball, be kosher?

S
SailCat
I'm not Jewish but I'm confident that would not be Kosher. It would, however, be legal.

Scenting a yarn ball would be fine but oil-based scent can negatively effect the action of jig dressings, particularly maribou,.

C
coyo7e
Good to know thanks. I fly fish so having it muck up the skirts makes sense however, I've always been unsure about scent. :)

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Pro Cure has a water soluble scent that has not had a negative effect on my marabou jigs.

P
playhooky
Hooked Up said:
Pro Cure has a water soluble scent that has not had a negative effect on my marabou jigs.

Is this a new Pro Cure scent product? Varied flavors or just one kind? What's on the label? And have you Hooked Up on the stuff yet? I'd be up for trying it. I have a lot marabou jigs but particular about scenting just the collar behind the bead head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
It hasn't been slaying the fish. But the jigs seem fine after using it. 20150518_192458.jpg

P
playhooky
Hooked Up said:
It hasn't been slaying the fish. But the jigs seem fine after using it.

Thanks......might give it a try!