Anyone else see this today? (WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT)

J
JeannaJigs
definitely a cougar snack. Kitty was probably still around watching. Those things freak me out. Always a good idea to carry.

F
Flymstr
Deer

Deer

This is what I know about what may have happened. There has been a pack of wild dogs in this area for years now. About 6 years ago they ran a huge buck into the electric barriers by the hatchery. There are several different breeds in the group. If you ask at the hatchery they will confirm this. They will not come around usually when people are anywhere around. There was another deer about 2 years ago up on the hill side. At this time there were dog tracks everywhere. This may be what happened. I was on the trail today, but did not see this. Where exactly is it?
Flymstr;:cool::rolleyes:

I
Ideceivefish
Take first left at the main Y at the top of the hill. Go down the long hill cross the tiny stream come to the next Y take a right, pass the old rusty 50 gallon drum that is about half gone and laying on its side. The deer is right there.

H
halibuthitman
dogs will usally hamstring a deer to bring it down.... did it have any rear leg damage? a couger would leave very pronounced bite marks on the head and neck, and often only eat the warm stomach... an adult couger will kill a deer every 3 days, and rarely eat once it has had birds on it, cats are very picky, and will kill deer just for sport.

F
Flymstr
Ok I looked hard at the pic, and I don't see any thing eaten out of the torso area, just opened. A small amount of meat taken off the shoulder. I would say this is not a cougar, but I am not an expert on this stuff, just does not look like a cat to me. No damage near the head or neck at all. No scratches is the main reason I don't see a cat doing this. You would see some claw marks somewhere on it.
Flymstr;

H
halibuthitman
it probably ripped its gut open on all the lost f-ng jigs and blue fox spinners up there, just the gear I caught and picked up paid for my gas!

I
Ideceivefish
halibuthitman said:
dogs will usally hamstring a deer to bring it down.... did it have any rear leg damage? a couger would leave very pronounced bite marks on the head and neck, and often only eat the warm stomach... an adult couger will kill a deer every 3 days, and rarely eat once it has had birds on it, cats are very picky, and will kill deer just for sport.

No damage to the legs that I could see.

T
Throbbit _Shane
halibuthitman said:
it probably ripped its gut open on all the lost f-ng jigs and blue fox spinners up there, just the gear I caught and picked up paid for my gas!

Sounds like i need to goto this place for some new gear :D its great finding stuff in the wild.

H
halibuthitman
Throbbit _Shane said:
Sounds like i need to goto this place for some new gear :D its great finding stuff in the wild.
you could! I bet if a guy took a pole saw and waders and walked it he could fill two tackle boxed, I picked up two blue fox spinners, several slinkys, 4 nice (like new ) jigs and 2 bobbers I waded out and just pulled free from the bottom, and got a shiny new egg hook and 2 feet of leader out of the mouth of my second fish. its a wilderness wal-mart:shock:

T
Throbbit _Shane
waders are a better investment then i thought. how much does a good pair go for? i also need them for the toon im getting soon.

C
colbypearson
THATS CRAZY STUFF!! clean cuts reminds me of the shows off of discovery- the cult shows definitely weird

H
halibuthitman
Throbbit _Shane said:
waders are a better investment then i thought. how much does a good pair go for? i also need them for the toon im getting soon.
well if a guy is losing $4 spinners a couple times a trip, heck yeah, I just give it to my son, he likes hardware. the waders I use are about $175, but they make a lot of $80 that will last a year or two. I absolutely hammer my waders, so none of them really last very long.

A
autofisher
Flymstr said:
This is what I know about what may have happened. There has been a pack of wild dogs in this area for years now. About 6 years ago they ran a huge buck into the electric barriers by the hatchery. There are several different breeds in the group. If you ask at the hatchery they will confirm this. They will not come around usually when people are anywhere around. There was another deer about 2 years ago up on the hill side. At this time there were dog tracks everywhere. This may be what happened. I was on the trail today, but did not see this. Where exactly is it?
Flymstr;:cool::rolleyes:

I've seen the dogs you're talking about. I've seen them corner a big bull out in the water. They go after whatever they want and they do it hard. One dog went after the elk so hard that it got caught in the current and was swept down stream about 100 yards. Those things are vicious.

H
halibuthitman
autofisher said:
I've seen the dogs you're talking about. I've seen them corner a big bull out in the water. They go after whatever they want and they do it hard. One dog went after the elk so hard that it got caught in the current and was swept down stream about 100 yards. Those things are vicious.
well if you see something like this, and you,re carring a handgun......:mad:

F
Flymstr
Spinners

Spinners

halibuthitman said:
well if a guy is losing $4 spinners a couple times a trip, heck yeah, I just give it to my son, he likes hardware. the waders I use are about $175, but they make a lot of $80 that will last a year or two. I absolutely hammer my waders, so none of them really last very long.

I know it's not here, but in AK during silver season, I can pack five gallon bags with spinners all day long. I probably have over 1,000 blue foxes that were cast one time into a tree. LOL Great to get "River Booty".:D
Flymstr

H
halibuthitman
for sure! one morning in april I sat down on one of the logs down by where the guides anchor their sleds out in the river, the tide was out.. I looked down and the sand looked like there was gold in it, I shoved the sand away and started pulling up spinner after rusted spinner that had been washed down and piled up in front of the log... its the same way on the spawning beds upriver from the bridge... don't any of those guys wear waders and go after their gear?

A
autofisher
halibuthitman said:

I was up on the hiway and they were far enough away that I would've missed.

F
FishAssassin
Throbbit _Shane said:

I just picked up a pair of hodgeman lights from Bi-Mart for 69.97 and I really like them. They are breathable and lightweight. Toon huh? I have been thinking about possibly getting one of those in the future as well. I love the idea of covering more water.

F
FishFinger
halibuthitman said:

Yep! Kaboom!

T
TTFishon
So if it was a kitty snack will it come back and get it's prey?