Any shark fishermen around?

J
Jdangler xD
First and foremost I C&R 98% of all the fish I catch. So I catch and release a lot for sport.

So where the shark fishermen at? I want to to excercise my large fishing gear and all I see is Buncha rockfish and surf perch guys. I love catching those too but I want to listen to my drag scream and test my gear and skill. Any other hog hunters out there want to collaborate?

In San Diego I caught quite a few sharks and even large Rays. Regular Carolina slider set up.
i like salmon and trout and bass as much as the next person just have the itch to step it up.

Anyone catching sharks or Rays out of newport?

B
Berg03
ive been dying to catch some sharks... i try almost every time i go out to the beach. Ive only caught them up in washington, not in oregon yet. I would def go with yea and try for some.

J
Jdangler xD
Could always try. I think really any beaches, I know they can be caught in seaside. Or the columbia near the mouth. But I do think that watching the weather will improve chances. Warmer weather moving in, nice bloody bait under a balloon should get em.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Those bugger can really get in the way when tuna fishing. I do not target them but have brought a few to the boat.

T
troutmasta
Irishrover said:
I do not target them but have brought a few to the boat.

Ya, I dont fish for sharks either but Ive caught a ton halibut fishing. Not a fan.

R
rakane
This one got too close to my halibut.

c305ac44bb801e5430d3fd6c8a8f4c13.jpg

I've seen a thresher out while tuna fishing but have never targeted them. Frankly. I don't know what to do or how to safely land a big shark like a thresher. That tail makes me very cautious. I know folks have hooked salmon sharks but again, I've never targeted them.

Could you elaborate on your methods and how you safely land them? Do you tail them and drag backwards a bit on a keeper? Care for table meat? How to cut the shark, do you need to gut immediately for urea issues?

Randy (out of Garibaldi)

D
Denduran87
Is the meat any good? I've been tempted to target some salmon sharks off the Bandon jetty with a balloon rig.

C
cdumitru78
Tagging along, this would be sweet to try!