Another idea

D
DonF
Got to thinking about using a bobber for fishing for cats especially in river's. Someone on a catfish site mentioned using pop bottles. Well I got a hold of a 20oz bottle and one a bit smaller than half that. Put a small eye screw through the middle of the lid and used JB Weld to hold it there. Then got a can of spray foam and filled the bottles. Screwed on the caps and JB Welded them in place. Gonna give them a try on the John day for channels this coming year with hopefully a one oz weight under them. Figure on using then as slip bobbers. Hope this works! Hopefully will keep the bait off the bottom.

Reactions: plumbertom
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Piece of mackerel with a very small treble hook, hook it through the skin, cats have very hard mouths but they have a thin lip area think size 16 treble! Caught 20 pounders in Socal fishing at night! Lower Castaic if you know the lake!

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
I know that lake. Used to live in Chatsworth Highlands.
Myself, the only time I used treble hooks for cats was when I was fishing punch bait or other prepared baits with tube bait holders.
I have a preference for either circle or octopus hooks for channels and Kahle hooks for fishing live baits for flathead.

S
Senkosam
Good luck with the float. Channels in current give one H of a fight!