Another idea for "smokers"

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've been doing this for about a month now and I can't stop. It is really good. Take a fish that isn't fit for the grill, something you would likely smoke, and put it through your meat grinder with flavorful ingredients. In this batch I did white onion, green onion, bell pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. After it was ground I tossed in two raw eggs as binder. I didn't get pics after these but I made them into patties and put them in the freezer for later this week. I held back two of them for dinner and pan fried them in olive oil and butter. It was delicious on a toasted bun with mayo and pickles.

The fried patties were from a couple weeks ago and they rocked too. Same patty but coat in corn starch then egg dredge then panko and fry in shallow oil. Incredible.

• 20221129_172603.jpg
  • 20221129_172408.jpg
  • 20221119_142407.jpg
  • 20221119_142212.jpg
Reactions: Crayfishy, Diehard, O. mykiss and 2 others
FairweatherFisher
FairweatherFisher
Sounds tasty! I can never get the oil temp right to deep fry things. Always comes out burnt or soggy, and makes a terrible mess. The simple pan fry method you first mentioned sounds more up my alley, though those breaded Pattie’s look amazing.

Reactions: Admin
plumbertom
plumbertom
You'd be amazed at what a convenience a countertop deep fryer is.
They come in different sizes, so you can find one that lets you cook as many patties at a time as you need. A smaller one would handle two paddies at a time, and it usually takes 3 to 4 minutes to deep-fry a couple at a 350-375 degree oil temp. I prefer the smaller one, so you don't have too much oil waste if you don't do fish that often.

Reactions: Casting Call and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
FairweatherFisher said:
Sounds tasty! I can never get the oil temp right to deep fry things. Always comes out burnt or soggy, and makes a terrible mess. The simple pan fry method you first mentioned sounds more up my alley, though those breaded Pattie’s look amazing.
I use an infrared thermometer to measure heat on the pan before I put them in. I find it best to fry them between 320 and 350. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Just don't let your temp drop too much when you put the cold patties in or they will get soggy. Put them in at 350 and keep the heat high. The temp will drop a bit and then when it comes up you can back off the heat. Check the temp often with the thermometer. @plumbertom is right about the deep fryer but I find it easy to do it in a pan with very little oil....probably less than 1/4 inch.

Reactions: scched, Admin and plumbertom
G
Gulfstream
Try adding a little lemon zest! Puts them over the top!

Reactions: plumbertom and jamisonace
LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
plumbertom said:
You'd be amazed at what a convenience a countertop deep fryer is.
They come in different sizes, so you can find one that lets you cook as many patties at a time as you need. A smaller one would handle two paddies at a time, and it usually takes 3 to 4 minutes to deep-fry a couple at a 350-375 degree oil temp. I prefer the smaller one, so you don't have too much oil waste if you don't do fish that often.
I got one of these a couple years ago and love it. Holds temp pretty well and has a built-in filtration system.

https://smile.amazon.com/FR8000-Basket-Filtration-Pounds-Silver/dp/B00NQ7QFGM/

Reactions: plumbertom
C
climbguy
FairweatherFisher said:
Way way way back in the day, I worked for some clown at the golden arches. Once a week we would change the oil in the fish fryer. By the end of the week, the fish would be a lot greasier than at the beginning. Everything else being equal, I discovered that age of the oil alone in the fryer can make a big difference. They used cotton seed oil or some blend thereof back in the day for all their fryers. It had the consistency of Crisco. Don't know if they are still using it today.

I've been frying in a deep pan. It works but I have to check the temp often while cooking. A temp controlled frier would be a lot more convenient.

Reactions: FairweatherFisher
W
wils
climbguy said:
I've been frying in a deep pan. It works but I have to check the temp often while cooking. A temp controlled frier would be a lot more convenient.
Growing up, my Dad had an electric frying pan - about 12" square and 2" deep. His fried fish and fried chicken were always great and consistantly cooked. Electric fryers are great and readily available.

Reactions: Chromatose and climbguy