Alton-Baker pond update 2-25-10

N
natro
Well, I went out yesterday for 2 hours and got skunked. I only saw 2 fish caught. I went by there a bit earlier from running around town and there were a few people fishing, so now I'm going to head back out and try it again. Yeah that fish that kid had suprised the hell out of me. Definitely was one of those "steelhead sized trout" that was reported during the first section of this thread. It's so nice out right now I'm heading out right now.

troutdude
troutdude
There actually ARE steelhead in the canal. But, you need to tag it...it does not count towards your daily trout limit.

And, three weeks ago I saw some 15 - 16 inchers being caught.

Good luck.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Went down for a few hours today because I just had to get out. Hooked seven I think, was not really counting but they are in there. Fish took small olive micro jigs, black, micro jigs some new trout jigs and a single red ez egg all under a float! ;)

G
grampa ron
When were you there? What part did you fish?

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for the update.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I fished all over from behind autzen to where it dumps into the Willi. I just kept moving until I would find a fish or two to bite.

troutdude
troutdude
Has anyone been out to A.B. today?

N
natro
I didn't go out today, had a few things to do. I might waite til they re-stock it again, I'm not sure. I think they're doing that sometime on the week of the 8th. IDK, if I get to bored I might head out but I'll probably be busy for the next couple of days.

troutdude
troutdude
Ok. Thanks.

Yes, it will be stocked again next week...it's on the ODFW docket.

N
natro
Well, I had to write real quick about my trip today. Even though it was raining all day and in the afternoon, I had an itch to get out to AB. Got out there at 4:30, and left at 6. First spot I went to was next to the foot bridge by the bathrooms. Threw a few casts upstream from me, with nothing. Then threw my spoon straight across from me which I'm guessing is maybe 12'. Well, as soon as I threw it across, about 1 second later I see just this big flash of silver. Fish on. Just a beautiful fish too. I'm guessing he was in the 6lb range. Had him on for about 6 seconds. I had my drag set too loose, and he just took line and I couldn't keep enough tension in the line I guess, and he spit the hook. For those few seconds I was trying to tighten the drag, but still he got off. The whole thing took me by suprise because I really wasn't even expecting to catch anything at all. I lost him under the bridge, and I tried for about 15 more minutes to get him, but didn't, so I moved on, with no bites. Before I left I tried for a few more minutes, but nothing, and it was getting dark so I went home. But I couldn't believe how nice that fish was. just a good size and a beautiful color. I was using a pot-o-gold spoon I got from wally mart. Those seem to be my good luck charm so far. They're cheap as hell, $1.56 each, so on my way home I went and bought 5 more. Haha, man, I still keep thinking about that fish, really wish I could have landed him.

H
Hooked on fishin'
natro said:
Well, I had to write real quick about my trip today. Even though it was raining all day and in the afternoon, I had an itch to get out to AB. Got out there at 4:30, and left at 6. First spot I went to was next to the foot bridge by the bathrooms. Threw a few casts upstream from me, with nothing. Then threw my spoon straight across from me which I'm guessing is maybe 12'. Well, as soon as I threw it across, about 1 second later I see just this big flash of silver. Fish on. Just a beautiful fish too. I'm guessing he was in the 6lb range. Had him on for about 6 seconds. I had my drag set too loose, and he just took line and I couldn't keep enough tension in the line I guess, and he spit the hook. For those few seconds I was trying to tighten the drag, but still he got off. The whole thing took me by suprise because I really wasn't even expecting to catch anything at all. I lost him under the bridge, and I tried for about 15 more minutes to get him, but didn't, so I moved on, with no bites. Before I left I tried for a few more minutes, but nothing, and it was getting dark so I went home. But I couldn't believe how nice that fish was. just a good size and a beautiful color. I was using a pot-o-gold spoon I got from wally mart. Those seem to be my good luck charm so far. They're cheap as hell, $1.56 each, so on my way home I went and bought 5 more. Haha, man, I still keep thinking about that fish, really wish I could have landed him.

Way to go! Its probably the same steelhead that broke my leader twice two weeks ago! lol Did it have a piece of line with a pink corkie hanging out of its mouth? Actually I am sure that the fly and line would be gone by now, since the fly was barbless, but I would not be surprised if it was the same fish!!

N
natro
I didn't see any corkie in his mouth, but yeah, I wasn't expecting him at all. It immediately hit my spoon. Had my drag set for those smaller guys and he just took line, even as I was trying to tighten it. I didn't want to just twist my drag real quick and have him break the line, I've had that happen before. I've heard that that's where steelhead will hole up is right in that area by that bridge. He was right next to the bank on the other side. Definitely was a suprising quick trip. Might have to head back tomorrow, not sure.

troutdude
troutdude
That's right were you will always find the big brooder trout, hugging the banks. If you watch them in the hatchery tanks, they are always by the edge (for cover). So, it is "bred" into their psyche.

Always make your first cast only 1 - 2' away from the bank to one side. Then, work your way out to the middle. Turn, and cast next to the bank on the other side, and work your way out.

Then, move to a different spot and repeat casting close to the bank. You will consistenly hook into those brooders that way.

It's the little fish that hole up in pockets out and away from the bank.

There are always exceptions to this method. But, in general this will produce fish.

N
natro
Just a quick note, Alton should be stocked again sometime this week. I'm going to call the hatchery this morning to see what day it will be. I'll post it when I find out.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for the update Nate!

N
natro
It will be sometime this thursday

troutdude
troutdude
Groovy man. thanks.

Maybe we'll come down on Saturday. Will let you know.

L
lilsalmon
Okay...my curiosity has gotten the best of me...might have to try the canal this week, after it is stocked....Hey TD will you call the ODFW for me to confirm they stocked it this Thursday? :lol::lol:

Just kiddin with ya....tight lines and may your Ford Fenders never be snubbed.....:yay:

troutdude
troutdude
lilsalmon said:
Okay...my curiosity has gotten the best of me...might have to try the canal this week, after it is stocked....Hey TD will you call the ODFW for me to confirm they stocked it this Thursday? :lol::lol:

Just kiddin with ya....tight lines and may your Ford Fenders never be snubbed.....:yay:

Me thinks you will like the canal. It's a park, afterall! But, you can leave the "Chevy Fenders" at home...unless you can latch 'em onto your puppy and have him run really quick, with your main line tied to his collar! ROTFL

Ha ha...Feel free to call the confirmation #.

N
natro
lilsalmon said:

Sorry Troutdude, but I don't think anyone will let you live that one down! LOL!