About ready to give up!

S
Shark 13
I have been fishing for Salmon Steel head for 2 years now. I have only managed to catch one steel head and one Salmon on a charter boat. I don't even want to know how much time and money I have put into fishing. Today on the South Santiam I watched 2 Salmon brought in and 1 steel head and at least 6 hook ups. I can't even get a hit. Tried floating jigs, row, throwing spinners and throwing every kind of corkie and yarn I could think of. It's starting to get to the point that's it not worth trying any more. I have probably been to the South Santiam at least 10-15 times this year and nothing and more then that last year with nothing. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. I might give this one more season and if I don't figure this out. I'm just going to sell my gear and try and recoup some of my losses financially.

Q
qwapaw
It took-me a long time before I had any success. Just being on the river after work or on Saturday morning had a lot of value in it for me. Then all of a sudden I got a nice 7# steelhead hen. I didn't really know i had a bite, I thought I had a rock. I still don't set any records with my catching, but it am happy with it. I have a good fishing partner and we just have fun. Oh buy the way, my first fish came on the South Santiam about 8:00 pm one evening. There is nothing like the great Oregon outdoors. Good luck, and tight lines.

O
OnTheDrop
Hire a guide... 100-200$ well spent.

E
eugene1
Go with a buddy that knows the river like the back of their hand!

Good luck to you,

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yep. And make sure he knows you're there for knowledge. A good guide will take his time instructing you on methods and showing you how to read the water if he knows you're there to learn and not just to fill a freezer.

SteelmonKiller20 said:
Hire a guide... 100-200$ well spent.

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Learning to read the water to figure where the fish would lie and how to properly present a lure or bait to them is the hardest part . There are good articles all over , even some of them that you can google up on your computer that can help . Having subscribed for many years to the Oregon edition of Fishing and Hunting news was some of the best help a person could get for the money . I dearly miss that News print . They gave it up in 2008 . I actually saved my 4 or so years of bi-monthly and special edition copies and have started a scrapbook of the articles that will greatly reduce the stockpile by eliminating the ads and the "time is now to" articles . I considered myself to be a pretty fair fisherman prior to reading dozens of articles by the top fishermen in the state and now I have become a better catcherman . In most of the larger sporting goods stores or your nearest Bi Mart has a good outdoor book selection . If you can buy any mag and find 3 or 4 or more tricks or improverments to your fishing techniques then that was money well spent . Dont quit . The worst day of fishing beats the hell out of the best day of work ... ;)

S
Shark 13
Today was just a really bad day on the water. Just bought a 10"6' Lamiglass for float fishing and have been floating jigs and row. I now have to return the new Lamiglass float rod that I bought. I noticed today that my new line on it is frayed (after using it one day). Also some thing didn't feel right when I was reeling in. I noticed that the eye insert on the tip is broke and has a sharp edge that is chewing up my line. I was very frustrated today watching people catch/hook into fish left and right and I couldn't get nothing. Couldn't use my new float rod because of the bad tip. So I switched to my drift rod and almost every cast I was hanging up and spent more time re rigging then fishing. The other thing is can read water pretty well. The problem with the south Santiam is most of it is hard to get to or is private property. I don't have a boat to float the river so it's all bank fishing for me.

T
Toyracer38
Sorry to hear about the problems with the new rod. Don't be afraid to ask other fisherman around you questions. I have found for the most part, complete strangers are willing to help out. No they aren't gonna give you the recipe for their secret cure, but maybe they can spot a problem with your rigging, presentation, etc. I know the frustration! I still suck at drift fishing, but found other methods that work for me. Once you find what works for you, you will be filling tags! Good luck!

hobster
hobster
I've had the tip insert break and fray my line as well, its an easy fix. You can get a tip and glue at bi-mart for cheap. As for quitting, don't. I'm a bank fisherman also and it took a while to get into steel, and it can be frustrating as hell. I've been there, everyone else is catching fish except you and it gets quite depressing. Just take a break and when you are in the right frame of mind head back out. It really helps to have a friend who knows the water and how the bit feels - hang in there and you will be rewarded and it'll be an incredible feeling!

J
JonT
Shark 13 said:
I have been fishing for Salmon Steel head for 2 years now. I have only managed to catch one steel head and one Salmon on a charter boat. I don't even want to know how much time and money I have put into fishing. Today on the South Santiam I watched 2 Salmon brought in and 1 steel head and at least 6 hook ups. I can't even get a hit. Tried floating jigs, row, throwing spinners and throwing every kind of corkie and yarn I could think of. It's starting to get to the point that's it not worth trying any more. I have probably been to the South Santiam at least 10-15 times this year and nothing and more then that last year with nothing. I don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong. I might give this one more season and if I don't figure this out. I'm just going to sell my gear and try and recoup some of my losses financially.

Shark, don't give up. I moved here in February and have been hard after steelhead and salmon without even hooking one. In my opinion, the pursuit is part of the fun. It will happen. Maybe we should forces in an attempt to beat this chrome skunk. Jeez, I've probably tied 500 steelhead flies. I've made quite a few fishing buddies here in Hood River, and they all say that steelhead fishing is an occasional hookup within a string of a whole lot of skunks. Landing one is an entirely different animal.

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Good advice, JonT.

I don't think there is one secret to catching salmon or steel, rather lots of little things that you learn over time- plus being in the right place at the right time. Well a little bit of luck helps too, and strong knots, etc.

Keep at it, fishing is a very rewarding activity and it only gets easier with increased experience on the water.

Best,

JonT said:
Shark, don't give up. I moved here in February and have been hard after steelhead and salmon without even hooking one. In my opinion, the pursuit is part of the fun. It will happen. Maybe we should forces in an attempt to beat this chrome skunk. Jeez, I've probably tied 500 steelhead flies. I've made quite a few fishing buddies here in Hood River, and they all say that steelhead fishing is an occasional hookup within a string of a whole lot of skunks. Landing one is an entirely different animal.

C_Run
C_Run
Two years is nothing.

C
ChezJfrey
JonT said:
...steelhead fishing is an occasional hookup within a string of a whole lot of skunks. Landing one is an entirely different animal.

This is correct.

In 2011, I started my quest for steelhead and spent 12 months fishing for them. I caught zero. Last year I hooked 44 of them and am at 20 this year. The thing is, I probably made 80 trips to the river in 2011...sometimes only for an hour or two. An hour before work in summer, an hour or two in the evening, weekend mornings, whenever I had some spare time. I think one of the reasons it is taking so long is due to the 10-15 trips; you need to get out more in order to ramp up the learning curve.

Also, pore over everything you can find about the river you fish. When are the fish likely around and where? Figure out the water levels/conditions for the particular spots fish are being caught (if you see or hear about them). Even witnessing fish being caught gives you a clue as to what part of the river the fish were holding if you can see the moment they hooked up. Part of the key is knowing where in the river the fish are at a particular time of year and at what levels (sometimes fish hold in different spots according to flows...sometimes the spot is good through multiple levels...depends on the hydraulics of the specific spot).

A fair number of fellow fishers are willing to talk fishing on the banks. Strike up a conversation and/or watch what they do if they are catching fish. During my endeavor over the last couple years, I've come to collaborate with dozer, whom I met on the bank one day a couple years ago. We got to talking and found that we participate on OFF. The two guys with half a clue, spending enough fishing time together, eventually formed a full clue and we are now about equal in steelheading ability and far better than the two guys getting skunked every day that we used to be.

What river and run timing? ODFW also has catch statistic going back years. For the individual rivers I had any interest, I entered numbers for each month into a spreadsheet table, for 6 years running, and highlighted the best months. This gives an idea of where to be and when.

Most river levels, often with some forecasting ability are available online to help determine when they might be fishing well. A little poking around on the internet often gives a good idea about what levels are best for a particular system. As does keeping track of what the level is when you catch fish -- keep track of what, when, temp, weather, clarity, level/flows, technique, etc.

There are also a few good books about technique-specific approaches that also offer decent tips about what to look for on the water. I picked up Davis' spinner book, Herzog's spoon book, Larison's fly book, Haugen's drifting book and while not the end-all, be-all and I even deviate from Herzong's 'never cast a spoon upstream' gospel, I found them helpful.

However, one must practice to develop, so I hit the river every chance I can...sometimes only for an hour or two. Using the catch charts and my log helps determine where/when. Sometimes a few posts on the internet offer a decent enough hint once you get to know some of the regular poster's habits and the occasional slip of a hint they may not have intended Depending on time-of year and knowing the fish are migrating up, I start lower on the river and as the season progresses, move upward. Look at a map and find the parks/access points. When you get there, find the likely water fish it thoroughly, then walk up/down...keep going until you reach an impasse. Even in the major park areas, I am often the guy that disappears around the corner and quite often, I have found fish time after time in spots that nobody ever seems to be, even though it's quite accessible. In fact, there is one spot in a park that I have caught over a dozen fish and in my years of going there, I walked around the corner to find 'someone on my rock' and joked to him that in all my time going there, he is the first and only person I've ever seen snake my spot and we laughed about how 'money' the place is and nobody ever hits it.

The more you show up and fish, day after day, month after month, eventually you start to frequently run into other 'regulars' and often that eases them into divulging a few tips and about other general areas on the river they might mention...doing likewise with them helps facilitate this.

If you don't want the steelhead (and the decision to quit) to plague your dreams and conscience until the end of days, keep at it and good luck :)

D
DrTheopolis
JonT said:
Shark, don't give up. I moved here in February and have been hard after steelhead and salmon without even hooking one. In my opinion, the pursuit is part of the fun. It will happen. Maybe we should forces in an attempt to beat this chrome skunk. Jeez, I've probably tied 500 steelhead flies.

I know I'm going to get masses of grief here, but I'll say it anyway...

Until you become proficient with the basic techniques (at least one of them), leave your flyrod at home. I know the people who are into it are really into it, but the catch rate drops by an order of magnitude.

Someone here (Chez, I think) recently mentioned something about the flyslappers, which my fishing buddy recently echoed -- on the Clack (a very popular fly stream), we never actually see anyone casting where the fish hold. But they often go stand right in the holding water to get a better cast at crummy water... ponderous.

If it's your passion in life, by all means do it. Just come to grips with the low catch rate.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
I know I'm going to get masses of grief here, but I'll say it anyway...

Until you become proficient with the basic techniques (at least one of them), leave your flyrod at home. I know the people who are into it are really into it, but the catch rate drops by an order of magnitude.

Someone here (Chez, I think) recently mentioned something about the flyslappers, which my fishing buddy recently echoed -- on the Clack (a very popular fly stream), we never actually see anyone casting where the fish hold. But they often go stand right in the holding water to get a better cast at crummy water... ponderous.

If it's your passion in life, by all means do it. Just come to grips with the low catch rate.

No grief from me. The majority I see out there seem to target casting practice vs. actually hooking fish. However, I am acquainted with two that are very proficient with a fly rod. Their hook rate is fairly comparable to the average steelheader, albeit lower than the really good ones. They also have a background as very skilled gear guys, one was deadly with a spoon and the other deadly with drifting. I think the lower chances (assuming one is actually fishing the likely steelhead lies vs. casting toward void water) with a fly become the difficulty in getting the presentation correct with a fly/fly line in the zone and type of water steelhead inhabit; takes a large degree of skill and know-how in line/terminal manipulation and technique.

D
DrTheopolis
I think you summed it up by citing 2 excellent gear anglers who are also proficient and knowledgeable with the fly... and their success rate still drops with flies.

Steelheading is tough enough... why make it harder?

Chromatose
Chromatose
Time, Time and more time has to be spent to learn. I never gave one thought to giving up. I mean spending time out on the water in the woods was itself enough for me. But, when the light went on, call it the steelhead epiphany if you will. I have been fortunate enough to not only be in the water out in the woods, but able to do some catching as the result of spending the time to learn. Give it some more time and enjoy yourself, in time your efforts will be rewarded.

As it has been mentioned, Do Not Stand In The Run!!!

D
DrTheopolis
To echo what Chromatose just said -- I go because I enjoy being on the water. If it was strictly about catching, I'd have quit a long time ago. I fully understand not catching, especially when you're new to it -- everybody was there once, and everybody has slumps (been a bit since I pulled out the pen myself). Focus on the overall experience, and remember catching isn't the end-all, it's the bonus.

The worst day fishing and whatnot.

O
OnTheDrop
Just to stir the pot..

I know fly guys who catch more fish than I do.

For a beginner though, stick with gear...

Good luck,

C
ChezJfrey
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Just to stir the pot..

I know fly guys who catch more fish than I do.

For a beginner though, stick with gear...

Good luck,

Oh I'm not saying they aren't out there somewhere...it's just that most that I encounter on the river are mostly flogging water. Of the two that I know of that are good at it, I get word from an old-timer that knows him more intimately than I that this guy might actually catch more steelhead than I do in a season; I consider myself average.