A trolling question

Q
qwapaw
I would like to slow the troll down on my boat. I have a 9.9hp Merc., but it is a little hard to handle. I was wondering if drilling 6 or so 1 1/4" holes in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket will slow it down a little. I just want to slow it about 1-1.5 MPH. Trying to get below 3 MPH.

We have caught fish at the speed we troll now, but think we could do better slowing it down a little. Please give me your thoughts and ideas. I am ready to do some experimenting here.

Tight Lines and see ya on the Siuslaw, Qwapaw (Dan U )

Chromatose
Chromatose
With a 9.9 merc you should have no problems getting 1-1.5. Try a tune up and carb adjustment or rebuild.................If that doesn't work go with a sock.....Depending on what I am Trolling for 1.7 to 2.3 is the sweet spot for quite a few species I fish for.

L
Logger707
I recently booked a trip with a guide to "learn" a few things.he said that 95% of people troll too slow.his words not mine but we did hook into more fish than any boat around us that day

Reactions: JeannaJigs
E
eugene1
You don't need to drill the holes in the 5 gal. bucket. Also, did you try the low speed or idle adjustment screw? turn that down until it starts to cough, then just a hair back up.

Best,

troutdude
troutdude
Speed depends on the specie...and what they want. Sometimes slow is good. Sometimes, it's more speed they want. Personally, I always vary my speed--until I land on the "speed of the day".

But typically, the trolling range that you listed is indeed the "sweet spot". I recently bought one of these (see pic), to try with my 9.9 motor. Won't be able to try the "Happy Troller" plate, till next Spring. But, sure am looking forward to it.

happy troller.JPG

Lots of peeps, though, use milk buckets and other items with pretty good success. Hope it works well for you. Let us know, how you do.

P.S. If you're not already doing so; remember to troll in an "S-Curve" pattern across the water. Far too many peeps, troll in a straight. An S pattern, drops the gear deeper on the turning side--and raises gear on the other. Sometimes, it's such a change that gets bites!

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Just a reminder that if you do toss out a bucket, or a sock, you need to toss out two, one on each side, or it's a constant battle and you will hate life. Trust me on this lol. We tried to use a 40horse for trolling once, haha, and there was no way to get it to slow down enough, a 9.9 should be easier to manage by far.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Have you thought about changing props. Look at one with less pitch and it will slow you down.

Last edited:
Q
qwapaw
There are some good ideas out there for sure. My main problem is I am running a Merc. 150 HP Black Max as my main motor. Hardley enough room to steer the 9.9 HP motor. She is pretty tight in there for sure. I can defiantly get up and go when needed. Thanks, Dan

H
HootYeah
I use a drift sock and a 5 gallon bucket hung off my oar locks of a 16' driftboat with a 8hp honda kicker. Originally tried just the sock off the back being held by the anchor system when I realized I was still trolling to fast. From what I understand when you're trolling for salmon you want your plug cut herring or whatever doing bigger circles spinning behind you and its when you're doing smaller tight circles you're trolling to fast. At least this is what I've been told. can't wait for the day when I can upgrade my boat and have a system for exactly controlling these speeds cause I know its an entirely different story when you're trolling in lakes or off-shore. Ahhh. The day~

C
Conservationist
I use a trolling plate on a 50 hp outboard. They work. In fact, I would like a bit more "base speed" with the plate down. I have no problem trolling between .5 to 2+ mph. A bit hard to steer at the slowest speeds. Much above 2 mph and I can pull up the plate and just idle the motor and then up of course. This is an easy add and really takes up no extra room or chance to be tangling up lines like dragging something behind or along side your boat.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Logger707 said:
I recently booked a trip with a guide to "learn" a few things.he said that 95% of people troll too slow.his words not mine but we did hook into more fish than any boat around us that day

I try to check the boats around me, including guide sleds, and make a mental note of who is trolling faster, who is slower, and then if any hook-up, I can consider adjusting my speed...