5wt Spey vs. 8wt multi-tip?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I was in a fly shop yesterday asking a few questions about mutlitip line options for a new 9' 8wt rod I just acquired. To my surprise, the gentleman suggested that I consider a 5wt spey line instead of an 8wt versi-tip. I wasn't planning to make a purchase yesterday anyway so I told him I'd think about it and be back.

Has anyone tried such a thing? I'll by swinging for steel & some coho. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
M
mlw
Single handed rods and spey rods are weighted differently - the spey being 2-3 lineweights heavier than the equivalent single hand rod (or line). So the suggestion is not without merit - an 8wt spey line will be too heavy for a 8 wt single hand rod.
Michael

F
FlyBum
What was most likely the thought of putting a spey line of that "weight" on a single handed rod is for use as a shooting head. Making single handed swing casts a little easier than just using a weight forward line. Just a thought but have never used that type of setup myself.

H
halibuthitman
Dude, you are over thinking this fishing thing way too hard... 444 steelhead taper or an ambush line and go fishing..

T
Trout
halibuthitman said:
Dude, you are over thinking this fishing thing way too hard... 444 steelhead taper or an ambush line and go fishing..

Thinking the same thing - but modern marketing and the need to keep selling stuff means new products. Switch rod - multi-tip - shark skin tip - medium fast super duper semi-sinking line ... oh my.

Progress is good and all but at a few points during my day all I'm looking for is a pole and line with a fish on the end. I read a hilarious story (I think by Dave Huges) about a logger in the '50s who came across a fly rod in the forest. After many attempts to use it and much frustration he began referring to it as "the pecker pole". Oh for a simpler time ....

from the internets --- Thin or sickly in appearance. Pecker Pole - What a logger called a small tree or sapling.

All I need is a decent pecker pole - a double taper line - a hand tied leader - and some fricken flys

Last edited:
M
mrlindeman
halibuthitman said:

:) Chuck & Duck!!!!!!!

444 Will get you out there just as well with a healthy roll cast :)

T
Trout
I was in no way disparaging the OPs question - getting into fly fishing in 1989 was confusing enough. My gawd --- lines - leaders - tippets - backing - fast action - medium action .... and then there was talk of this thing called "nymphing" ... best only talked about in low murmers in the back of the fly shop.

A lot of the new stuff is helpful - but the marketing chatter is not. Get a 5 to 6wt fast action rod some basic weight forward line and just go fishing.