1st Steelhead on a fly....

C
ChezJfrey
Irishrover said:
...while Ninjia and I sat on the bank offering sage advise like "nice fish don't lose him, and are you sure it's not a carp".

LOL! Gotta love having friends around to offer 'advice' :)

Nice going, eggs!

E
eggs
Haha yea jimmy had me laughing while reeling in with the carp comment..

It was an awesome trip and a good day. And thanks for the kind words everyone.

S
skunk
Sweeeetttt! Nice job with that.

G
GDBrown
I'm very impressed! I didn't think "Nerds" could be so multifaceted. Great looking fish and great story with pictures and witnesses to boot. I really need to do more fishing.

GD

Reactions: eggs
M
Markcanby
Nice fish but man how rude. Do you know how long Jimmy has been after a fish? I am always nice enough not to catch fish around him. You should try to do teh say Eggs.

E
eggs
I know.... I felt bad.. I don't think jimmy, lonn, or chad have got one.. and this was my 5th try at winters and less than a year since picking up fly fishing completely..

I hope jimmy post up his pictures he took!

M
Markcanby
Thats why I didn't tell them about the one I hooked just killing time on Easter Sunday. I think my 6th time with the flyrod.

B
bigsteel
excellent fish bro,sounds like a great day on the water with buddies...

N
ninja2010
it was definitely great to see a steelhead hooked on the swing on a home-tied no-name fly...

sorry for the delay in posting the photos, but i was out FISHING...

anyway, here's what i got on my phone:

the hookup... "wow! it's buuldogging..."

IMG_0104.jpg

the anticipation of the climax... "okay, bring it closer to the bank, i'll come from behind and tail it so it doesn't get spooked..."

IMG_0106.jpg

da money shot...

IMG_0108.jpg

the fly that fooled the fish

IMG_0110.jpg

... and eastcoastborn's new-found friend from the pasture...

IMG_0113-1.jpg

btw, mark, i haven't been skunked the last 5 trips on the river. all on the swing, some fin-clipped. but none bigger than 8"... and eggs, i did get one - witnessed by lonn.

Reactions: OnTheFly
T
Thuggin4Life
Hey way to go man! Nice fish and nice fly!

Reactions: OnTheFly
J
JeannaJigs
Man I don't trust cows sneaking up on people like that.

M
Markcanby
Well Im glad to you are finaly getting into some fish Jimmy. I thought you didn't like catching small fish though.:lol::lol::lol:

Dont feel bad though Jimmy I haven't landed any either just hooked one for 10sec.:(

A
Anyfishisfine
That's most awesome.

B
bernduffy
A terrific example of perseverance. Nice job hanging in there. I went 0 for eight once and was about to give up. 0 for 10 would just about be my limit....at least for a while.
Although, don't I remember Jed Davis writing that he went something like 0 for 20 while figuring out how to fish spinners? Then he caught a couple of hundred a year!

G
GDBrown
Will someone be kind enough to send me a PM with the GPS location of that hole? I've been looking for a place like that forever and never found one. I can fine plenty of good steelhead water but the brush is always right at my back! I'd even take a lesson from one of you guys and bring lunch too if it will help.

GD

E
Eastcoastborn
I took that picture. 1st fish I've seen caught on the swing. nice.

J
jathrtn
type of material?

type of material?

Hey bro just out of curiosity is that fly ties using schlappen or marabou. it almost looks like palmered sclappen but the feathers are kinda long which makes me think u palmered the marabou. schlappen feathers arnet usually that long. :think:

E
eggs
I actually used the butt end of schlappen and palmered em(i didn't have the marabou in that color, but do now).. then used left over tips for the tails... the body is dubbed with purple "pop-a-top" yarn all pulled apart and then ribbed with yellow floss.