16' Smokercraft safe to float Middle Fork?

R
rhubarb
I have a 16' Smokercraft Alaskan with a 15hp motor and oars. I have never tried to get it wet in drift water, normally it is on a lake or the lower Umpqua below Scottsburg. Am I asking for trouble putting this type of boat in and fishing say from Clearwater Park -> Island Park? Or from Pengra -> Jasper?

Thanks in advance!

E
eugene1
I wouldn't run those stretches with a prop. You'd probably make it down but you'd be on the oars for some of it and that boat isn't very maneuverable on the sticks.

You could pick up a small jet outboard that would work.

Best,

Troutski
Troutski
Ruff water for a lake boat, not that it can't be done but I wouldn't try it. Find someone on the site that is willing to trade a day in their drift boat for a day on a lake with you. You never know ..... might work out for the two of you.

Chuck

Reactions: eugene1
D
DYJ
with a prop guard I'd put it in at D Street and motor up. It'd be hard to get in trouble there. Day island can get a little trickier cause of the gravel bars and shallow boat ramp.

Reactions: Troutski
C
crusty old fisherman
I haven't been through there in a couple years but there was some pretty shallow riffles that I highly doubt a v bottom boat could make it through upright, I put a kicker on the back of my drift boat and do a lot of motoring from jasper down to D street but I always have to row in 3 or 4 places because it just isn't deep enough