1 streak broken, 1 intact

jamisonace
jamisonace
Hit the Millicoma and kept my streak of never catching a winter steelhead in my life perfectly intact. Hit the Elk and broke my streak of 9 salmon trips without a skunk. Not the best week of fishing for me.

Both rivers were high but fishable. I watched a guide friend of mine boat a steelhead on the elk and saw one other caught but the fish checker babe said she only had counted two when we pulled out. Not sure if they were salmon or steelhead. I could have spent more time trying but my boys weren't too into fishing in the cold and rain. They're partial to summer steelhead fishing at this point....I guess I can't blame them.

S
steelhead_slayer
next time

E
eugene1
Well you can't complain if you went 8 trips with success before!

Plenty of steel chances for you and the boys to come.

A
alm21
Good call on wrapping it up with cold kids. For every skunking, you're one trip closer to hitting pay dirt. Maybe mix it up and park the boat and go Rambo on the banks of some of the nice rivers in your zone looking for that first. Could give you a shot to hop from river to river in a day.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I do need to figure out bank fishing. That was part of my problem in Millicoma. I just don't know what I'm doing from the bank.

alm21 said:
Good call on wrapping it up with cold kids. For every skunking, you're one trip closer to hitting pay dirt. Maybe mix it up and park the boat and go Rambo on the banks of some of the nice rivers in your zone looking for that first. Could give you a shot to hop from river to river in a day.

A
alm21
I'm sure there's some folks on the forum in your area that would be more than happy to run the banks with you. I know I would if I was closer to Eugene (or if you find yourself up here). C'mon OFF'ers, step up and a help Jamisonace get his first winter steel. Always a great experience seeing/helping someone get a "first"!

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks Alm. OFF'ers have always stepped up to help and I'm sure they will. My biggest winter steelhead problem is that from Mid December to Mid February I am absolutely slammed at work so I don't get out too much. I'm hoping to change things a bit this year with my schedule and find time to get out more than once or twice. I'm sure if I fight the crowds on the Siuslaw a few times this year I'll at least luck into one or two:)

alm21 said:
I'm sure there's some folks on the forum in your area that would be more than happy to run the banks with you. I know I would if I was closer to Eugene (or if you find yourself up here). C'mon OFF'ers, step up and a help Jamisonace get his first winter steel. Always a great experience seeing/helping someone get a "first"!

jamisonace
jamisonace
No complaints here....it's been a fantastic Fall Chinook season for me.
eugene1 said:
Well you can't complain if you went 8 trips with success before!

Plenty of steel chances for you and the boys to come.