yesterdays fishin trip off the rocks in the bay!

F
fishndad
caught some real nice greenling and perch, one of the greenlings i caught was 23" almost the size of a keeper ling woohoo! lol i even caught a small cabezon i limited out in about 2 hours so it was a great day!

S
Shadelady
wow, nice work- tell all!! Newport? what were you using for bait?

T
Troutier Bassier
How do you catch those perch???

F
FishSlayer420
Nice fish man. I have never done that whole ocean fishing thing but man I have wanted to go so so so bad. Where were you at? what were you using for bait?.

F
fishndad
Nice fish man. I have never done that whole ocean fishing thing but man I have wanted to go so so so bad. Where were you at? what were you using for bait?.

well i tell you what fish slayer! if you want to go ill show ya the tricks of the trade! just tell me when! i use a lot of different things. my favorite is sandshrimp! depending on where im fishing and what im fishing for! if im fishing for perch, greenling and other shallow rock fish i use sandshrimp! if im fishing for deeper much larger fish i use jigs with twin tails ripplers and a peice of cutbait or squid! i aslo use a slip bobber system like for salmon out there the only differance is i put the weight near the bottom! its a mooching rig and herring works awesome for this as well! now if iim just using sandshrimp then i use a 1 1/2 oz bank sinker on bottom and a size 1 baitholder hook about 8"-1' above the sinker on a liter!
let me remind you i fish from the banks and not on a boat! this has taken a very long time to perfect! but using any of the systems above will improve your chances of catching some decent fish but be prepared to lose 20$ bucks worth of hooks and sinkers in a day lol.

T
The Nothing
well done! That 23" greenling is actually larger than the new 22" minimum on lings

I'd love to meet up sometime and siphon some of your knowledge. Yesterday was a first for me.

F
fishndad
well if you want to fish sometime let me know! i like fishing with whoever! ill teach ya what i know, im not real secretive!

S
steelhead1
not secretive huh?can I have your credit card # to buy some gear:lol:? joking!nice fish indeed!

F
fishndad
lol thats funny stuff steely lol anyhow yeah it was a pretty good day indeed think i might head out again wednesday for sure if weather permits!

T
The Nothing
Looks like a good fishing day to me, but i can't afford a second drive to the coast again this week

F
fishndad
well nothing let me know when ya can and ill be willing to go!

F
fishinwill
Awsome fishing! I was planning on taking a couple of cub scouts down to the south jetty in Newport in June to maybe try and catch a couple of rockfish. Just for fun. Any pointers that you can teach me. I fished there once with a slip boober and a jig casting out and retrieveing but that caught me nothing. Any tips or examples of rigs would be greatly appreciated.

~Will

F
fishndad
your best bet is to use sandshrimp, the way you would rig it is tie a 1-2 oz bank sinker on the bottom and a size 2 hook about a foot above that just use the pre-rigged baitholder hooks! then thread the sandshrimp on and cast near rocks that are in deep holes or at the edge of the rocks!