Yarn balls

B
brewer
Sick kiddo and the snow has me stuck inside. Decided I should try and make some yarn balls so I would have something else to not catch steelhead on! I decided to make these so I could just put them in the egg loop but have considered getting my vice out and tying them on a hook directly. What do others do, egg loop vs direct on hook, size, color differences?

• IMG_1785.jpg
O
OnTheDrop
Those look solid. White with cerise is money.. I tie 'em all ways, but usually tie a double egg loop and tie them to the hook and have the top loop for bait or whatever. Pretty simple and effective.

Keep it up,

B
bigboy70
Steelhead stalkers has a video how to tie them to a hook ive done them bothers. But like you it was something else to try I like it better on the hook versus having to screw with them in an egg loop

jamisonace
jamisonace
Double bait loop is super easy. I use the steelhead stalkers straw idea to get the yarn in the loop. I knocked out a dozen today in no time.

S
SteelyDan's
Yup I do them both but definitely like just tying up a bunch like you did and throwing them in a double egg looped pre-tied leader. You can always tie an egg loop to your yarnies tied to the hook already but easier to just throw one on a pre-tied leader imo.

M
mikeee2362
I pre-tied some leaders and then used a needle to poke through the center of the yarnie, then the egg loop was open for baiting. Seems to work good, although I'm new to this and haven't caught anything yet, I think it will.

B
brewer
Thanks for all the info. I will try them on the hook next.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Found some dumbbell eyes last night. Thought I'd experiment a little. I'm thinking under a bobber since they'll be a little heavy. Put a tail on acoupleof them with some orange dubbing i had in my fly tying box.

B
bigboy70
I've done it with lead wraps underneath to get to sink but still slightly float more natrual movement but keeps it down

B
brewer
I was thinking about how to fish these under a float. I was thinking of just popping a heavi-bead in front of the hook but I suppose I could lead wrap some of these for float fishing as I do that 10:1 to drift fishing. Or will just putting a weight about 8" up from the hook work?

B
bigboy70
Split shot your leader like for trout worms 3-5 BB SIZE the weight gets it down and lets the yarn ball do its thing

M
mikeee2362
I saw in the Regs. in some places the weight has to be 18" above the hook. Wouldn't that be true here?

B
bigboy70
Lol when drift fishing never had leader under two feet

M
meluvtrout
I'd stick with the basic patterns and later add your own twist to it. The more contrast the better in color choices. Think of steelhead fly and jig patterns that have been proven to work for years and copy them for your contrasting color choices. Purple peril, Nightmare, Skunk Green Butt, Undertaker, Skykomish Sunrise have all good contrasting colors. My choice is to use at least 3 colors(like these patterns) while tying my egg patterns and one of them to be exclusively black.
I almost never tie my egg patterns to the hooks anymore, but just slide them to the hook shank while fishing. A single egg loop can hold both your egg pattern and the bait (roe).
I don't pre-tie leaders either, as I don't like the way they become all twisty at least in the first few casts until they loosen. Those first few casts could mean a day with fish or no fish.
Good luck.

K
Knot Fishing Sober
Just curious as I have heard this opinion before. Not pre-tying leaders because of line twist? The line comes off of a spool with the same twist the first few casts my in my experience. The weight of your presentation and he current should straighten that once in water long enuff. Also the time you spend tying leaders at the river could cost you a fish. No disrespect as I'm hardly an expert but just wanted to know more about this reasoning, I'm asking not telling.

S
SteelyDan's
I like pre-tied leaders as well. Even if they are a little twisted when you pull them out just grab the hook and stretch your leader just as would your line to help get rid of the memory. Beats a few minutes tying up a new leader when it's cold outside.

M
meluvtrout
Knot Fishing Sober said:
Just curious as I have heard this opinion before. Not pre-tying leaders because of line twist? The line comes off of a spool with the same twist the first few casts my in my experience. The weight of your presentation and he current should straighten that once in water long enuff. Also the time you spend tying leaders at the river could cost you a fish. No disrespect as I'm hardly an expert but just wanted to know more about this reasoning, I'm asking not telling.

It's a personal thing and I don't think the twist is the same. If you have a twist in line coming fresh out of the spool, that means there's something wrong with that line. The question you need to ask yourself is, why are you losing gear and re-rigging often? When you find the answer to that, you'll end up losing less and less gear and often won't need to re-rig (or have pre-tied spools of leaders). I would spend one and a half minute to re-rig than spooking a fish because I touched the fish on the head with my twisted leader.
My two cents...

B
buddah426
so i tied up a bunch just as in the stalkers video. super simple and they came out awesome for being my first ones but i have a question. i took them out to try them both drift and float fishing from the bank and while the yarn belt it's shape after 8-10 casts the ball itself started to slide down the shank of the hook and my thread would bunch up and try to unravel. anyone had this problem? i used #2 hooks, could these be too big for these? am i not wrapping thread tight enough? or is just the way it is with these? any way they looked "fishy" as hell and can't wait to get out again to try hookin up a fish on one.

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
Tighter thread wraps and it drop of superglue on you thread base I fish the same yarnie all day held shape and didn't budge