WOW... Confirmed!!

E
eggs
BEND, Ore. -- Yesterday, a fish biologist with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife confirmed the first observed spawning sockeye in the Metolius River in over 45 years.

Mike Gauvin spotted the fish while conducting annual kokanee spawning surveys in the Metolius River near the town of Camp Sherman.

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

E
eggs
The return of the only sockeye run in Oregon! And they did it all on their own... without stocking!

B
bigsteel
Wild Fish can do amazing things given the chance.thanks for the article

E
eggs
What freaking amazing bounty byproduct of the fish passage at Pelton!

troutdude
troutdude
Didn't I read an ODFW article, a couple of months ago, indicating that those fish would be taken by truck to points above the dam?

At any rate; most excellent news for that river!

E
eggs
They are moved up and down like all fish about LBC but these are Kokes that took it upon themselves to head down when they could and come back! 45 year of being locked up above the dam and knew they needed to leave as sooner as they could.

A
alm21
Exciting results!

C_Run
C_Run
Did that one have a lady friend? Didn't sound like he did. Hope he finds one, though. I guess a koke would suffice.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I think this is just the begining. The big trick was getting the fish down from LBC. They were able to figure that out a couple of years ago. You can see the system they use if you go to the Round Butte Dam observation house. Eventually chinook, steelhead and sockey are supppose to move through it. Right now they do truck fish up from the Pelton dam site. When they used the fish ladder below Lake Simtustus it brought more trash fish up than anadromonus fish so they shut it down. I always thought they should have turned that fish ladder into one hell of a water slide if they weren't going to use it for fish.!

Reactions: eggs
W
wozniasm
Makes the money for tags a lot more acceptable - effort and hard work with great results!

B
bran_man
That's amazing !

D
desertbull
VERY COOL. Annnnndddddd, more morsels for the BULL TROUT!!!

W
waco
That's pretty cool and I second wozniasm!

T
troutmasta
Fishies are AMAZING!