Worm rigging techinques for trout & steelhead

brandon4455

brandon4455

how do you like to rig your worms for steelhead or trout? during early fall for cutthroat when the water is still a little on the warm side i use a small peice of worm that covers the hook. when the water gets cooler and higher around october i use quarter to whole worm depending on conditions. drift fishing/ plunking or my favorite drifted under a strike indicator and i let about 80% of the worm hang off the hook to let it sway around in the current (this works best drift fishing ) sometimes ill add pink yarn or a read bead to the head of it when im fishing below salmon to add an egg or flesh imiation to my bait. for a rod since drift fishing and line meding are required for most of this i like 6-7ft ultralight with 6lb test mono for trout. for steelhead 7-8"6 medium with 12lb mainline and 8lb leader . these techniques work for both summer and winter steelhead/cutthroat and rainbow trout. dads cousin showed me this stuff on the salmon river when i was like 12. ive slayed the trout there ever since.

Last edited:
Troutski

Troutski

Worm threader

Worm threader

how do you like to rig your worms for steelhead or trout? during early fall for cutthroat when the water is still a little on the warm side i use a small peice of worm that covers the hook. when the water gets cooler and higher around october i use quarter to whole worm depending on conditions. drift fishing/ plunking or my favorite drifted under a strike indicator and i let about 80% of the worm hang off the hook to let it sway around in the current (this works best drift fishing ) sometimes ill add pink yarn or a read bead to the head of it when im fishing below salmon to add an egg or flesh imiation to my bait. for a rod since drift fishing and line meding are required for most of this i like 6-7ft ultralight with 6lb test mono for trout. for steelhead 7-8"6 medium with 12lb mainline and 8lb leader . these techniques work for both summer and winter steelhead/cutthroat and rainbow trout. dads cousin showed me this stuff on the salmon river when i was like 12. ive slayed the trout there ever since.

Have you ever used a worn threader.....very cool during the cold water months. You can use a whole night crawler....

Chuck

brandon4455

brandon4455

never used one but i bet it would come in handy when my hands are to numbt thread it onto the hook

D

Diehard

i like prawn threaders or large stiching needles