World record catfish?

troutdude
troutdude
This is a LOT of catfish!!! :yikes: :yikes:

huge catfish.jpg

hobster
hobster
WOW! Jeez that thing is huge! The head is as wide as the guy holding it. Never can tell these days with photoshop, I don't know what to trust. Looks real enough, that's one ugly fish, bet it tastes like mud.

M
Modest_Man
Looks like a European Wel's catfish. Has an odd coloration though, some sort of hypomelanism.

R
Rain
I did some digging and its a rare albino wels catfish and a world record of its type. 206 pounds and measures 8 feet.

D
DrTheopolis
I was going to guess wels cat. But it's funny looking. And possibly toxic, once it gets that big, if I remember right.

R
Rain
Its a coincidence you posted this because I just came across this video yesterday of giant catfish being caught. Its the biggest catfish I've ever seen caught:

hobster
hobster
Cool video. that's one tough rod!

jhop111
jhop111
I had a rod looking like that this summer. Ended up with this

Reactions: eugene1
M
Modest_Man
jhop111 said:
I had a rod looking like that this summer. Ended up with this

Not sure why you'd go onto an internet forum and brag about breaking the law. Keep them in the water.

Page 11 of the ODFW fishing regulations:

Unlawful to:
"Remove oversize sturgeon totally or in part from the water;"

jhop111
jhop111
I am aware of the law. The removal was for and by odfw whom were on the river doing creel surveys over a couple days. We passed them while fighting the fish and informed them we had an oversize. They followed us and after trying to attach a spaghetti tag several times the fish was removed by odfw at the tag attached. A quick picture for my part and it was returned safely. Most people oooh and awe over the picture. I commend you for knowing the rules and undoubtedly following them as I do

H
halibuthitman
^^^^^^^ +1 that's a very nice fish-

B
bigsteel
Modest_Man said:
Not sure why you'd go onto an internet forum and brag about breaking the law. Keep them in the water.

Page 11 of the ODFW fishing regulations:

jumping to conclusions again:thumb:

M
Modest_Man
jhop111 said:
I am aware of the law. The removal was for and by odfw whom were on the river doing creel surveys over a couple days. We passed them while fighting the fish and informed them we had an oversize. They followed us and after trying to attach a spaghetti tag several times the fish was removed by odfw at the tag attached. A quick picture for my part and it was returned safely. Most people oooh and awe over the picture. I commend you for knowing the rules and undoubtedly following them as I do

Neat story. Sorry for assuming.

Reactions: wozniasm and halibuthitman
T
Throbbit _Shane
That sturgeon picture looks way better then that catfish! Nice story jhop.

B
billfisher
Modest_Man said:
Neat story. Sorry for assuming.

Im assuming you fell for a good setup! You both did good :peace:

jhop111
jhop111
It was the only pic I got for a summer of effort on the upper willy. Rumors of oversize are more common than the actual fish. Hence the tagging

Reactions: halibuthitman
M
Modest_Man
I've got to be a stickler for following the regulations because if I violate any of them it's the end of my job and my career. I've got to know that regulation book inside and out. Where on the upper Willamette? We turned a few oversized up around Peoria this season.

D
DrTheopolis
Modest_Man said:
I've got to know that regulation book inside and out. Where on the upper Willamette? We turned a few oversized up around Peoria this season.

Like when you can retain unclipped coho on the Alsea?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

H
halibuthitman
tough crowd.....

jhop111
jhop111
Modest it was above harrisburg. We did ok for our first season. A good day was 1 or 2 shakers. I release everything in the upper even the keepers. Its a small fishery as you know. Sorry for the delay I ran out to the river for a couple hours.