Winter/summer steelhead

F
Fishpdx
Hello I'm new to steelhead fishing but have tried it a couple times with no luck. So I was Wondering if I could use this Setup for fishing steelhead in the clackamas river. 14146317149320.png

I want to use the salmon egg hooks which I use for trout, And I want to use single salmon eggs on them. So I'm just wondering if I can or will I have any luck with this>

S
sapo
I'm not an expert authority on this, but I'm pretty sure that most of the time that will not work for steelhead or salmon. You can use a bobber and a hook with salmon eggs, but for steelhead what is usually used is a bigger hook with an egg loop knot tied on. Then you cure your own or buy from a store a big jar of cured salmon eggs, not the small ones for trout but the bigger ones that you see in the fridge at fisherman's (cured yourself are better though). You put the section of eggs on the hook , push some of the line from the egg loop knot through the hook eye, put the loop around the eggs, and pull. That's usually the rig used for salmon/steelhead bobber and egg fishing. You'll probably not catch many steelhead or salmon with single small salmon eggs on trout salmon egg hooks. That's my input. Thanks!

F
Fishpdx
sapo said:
I'm not an expert authority on this, but I'm pretty sure that most of the time that will not work for steelhead or salmon. You can use a bobber and a hook with salmon eggs, but for steelhead what is usually used is a bigger hook with an egg loop knot tied on. Then you cure your own or buy from a store a big jar of cured salmon eggs, not the small ones for trout but the bigger ones that you see in the fridge at fisherman's (cured yourself are better though). You put the section of eggs on the hook , push some of the line from the egg loop knot through the hook eye, put the loop around the eggs, and pull. That's usually the rig used for salmon/steelhead bobber and egg fishing. You'll probably not catch many steelhead or salmon with single small salmon eggs on trout salmon egg hooks. That's my input. Thanks!

Thanks But If I get bigger hooks Could I still use the Hair rig Setup since in my opinion it will hook the fish better

N
Native Fisher
Carp said:
Hello I'm new to steelhead fishing but have tried it a couple times with no luck. So I was Wondering if I could use this Setup for fishing steelhead in the clackamas river.

I want to use the salmon egg hooks which I use for trout, And I want to use single salmon eggs on them. So I'm just wondering if I can or will I have any luck with this>

While you could hook up with a single salmon egg, like a pautzke one, the typical single egg hooks are far to small, they will straighten if you actually manage to get that small hook to stick. The very smallest I have ever used is a size 4, I'm sure you could get one on a size 6 but I have never needed to go that small and the water I fish gets to be bathtub clear....

D
DrTheopolis
I'd recommend against using any double-hook rig in waters with native steelhead that you'll be releasing.

H
hydropsyche
Since your new to steelhead I would suggest using the more proven techniques (bobber and egg with egg loop, bobber and jig, drifting eggs and corkie). That being said I did land a 28" native on the d with a size 1
8 red ant fly on a 5wt switch the fish just about kicked my butt too. On tube flies I typically use a 1/0 owner as my hook of choice. A bead setup could be just what you looking for just ditch the second hook and pin a bead 3" above your hook. Yarn balls and egg flies are killers also.

H
hydropsyche
My phone is hard to post with it was a size 8 red ant. Still can't beloved I landded hat fish.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't think two hooks under a bobber will make difference. I think you'd be better off using a larger single hook. That's just my opinion. I do like two hooks hen I'm running bait divers or back bouncing though.

Carp said:
Thanks But If I get bigger hooks Could I still use the Hair rig Setup since in my opinion it will hook the fish better

N
Native Fisher
Carp said:

Steelhead almost hook themselves on a single hook, no need to run a double.

C
ChezJfrey
Native Fisher said:
Steelhead almost hook themselves on a single hook, no need to run a double.

I would agree and think Carp should stick to the typical, standard setups for awhile; they are time proven.

The only time I might consider a 'stinger' type hook setup is when running a longer worm, where sometimes a short-strike near the tail can sometimes get missed. But even then, the steelhead typically inhale the entire worm and so they can be unnecessary even then.

But fishing eggs, they will be engulfed and a single, larger hook will assuredly do the job.