Winter steelhead in the Canby Pond?

A
at1a5
Anyone heard of winter steelhead getting into the Canby Pond which is just off the Molalla River? The pond is a kiddy pond only. We saw a few very big trout in the shallows. I guess it's possible they were trophy trout planted from a hatchery but ODFW doesn't show any such stocking on their 2014 stocking schedule.

I'm not sure if steelhead could make it up the small short stream and through the gated culvert.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Well I know that they did plant trophy trout last year and some got out the spillway gate, as for getting back into the pond not sure about that?

M
Modest_Man
They're stocked brooder trout.

C
chrisohm
Maybe and maybe not. The brood trout were put in last year, maybe some held over, maybe. More likely that some pounders were smart enough to not get caught and have been feasting on everything they can find. The weeds allow some fish to hide very well. Sad that some info out there on the Canby pond gives people the idea that bass and bluegill live in it. It is obvious that only catfish and trout are there. Last year some lady dumped a bucket full of fingerling trout in there...she wasn't a part of ODFW.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
How'd this lady get her hands on fingerlings is what I want to know lol

R
redhawk50
Impressive fish if they are holdovers, that pond gets really warm and nasty in the late summer. Did see a picture of one of the caught recently by a young kid. So they are in there, doubt they are steelhead though.

M
Modest_Man
As far as I know trout don't hold over in there. It goes anoxic in the summertime. And when they plant in the spring a lot of the trout make it out through the grate into the Molalla (not sure if this has been fixed yet, it's on the ODFW to do list if it hasn't already been fixed).

I do know for a fact that they plant fish in areas and at times not on the planting schedule. It helps actually leave fish for the kids, instead of the adults who follow around the stocking truck.

troutdude
troutdude
Modest_Man said:
I do know for a fact that they plant fish in areas and at times not on the planting schedule.

True dat. Happens unannounced, at a lake I like to fish on the coast too.

A
at1a5
Thanks everybody for the replies. I also happened into a conversation with an employee of the city's Parks Department. He also said they were brood trout, that there would be no way for a steelhead to fit through the grate on the culvert leading to the river.

S
SailCat
As troutdude said, it does, indeed, happen unannounced. I once called the ODFW (trying to glean information for the newsletter and Oregonian article) regarding their broodstock planting program. The lady to whom I spoke seemed a bit miffed and told me curtly, "There is no program" and that it happens when it happens. As I recall, I thanked her courteously. At least I hope that I did so.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Sometimes there's an article on the local paper about stocking the brooders. I've seen one in the Albany Democrat-Herald last year when they dumped some into Waverly and that other Albany pond that's name escapes my mind, other than that though just like troutdude and SalCat said they don't say when they dump brooders you just gotta get lucky

T
Throbbit _Shane
SiletzTroutKiller said:
Sometimes there's an article on the local paper about stocking the brooders. I've seen one in the Albany Democrat-Herald last year when they dumped some into Waverly and that other Albany pond that's name escapes my mind, other than that though just like troutdude and SalCat said they don't say when they dump brooders you just gotta get lucky

Keep an a eye on the ODFW Recreation Report online. Iv seen when they mention when they're going to stock brooders or exes steelhead into ponds.

troutdude
troutdude
^^^ What they've said.

Plus...they may mention it, in a Press Release too. So, I check those on the ODFW site from time to time.